PDAnet with Virtualbox and Android-x86... Help?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
KristjannaDalsgarð

PDAnet with Virtualbox and Android-x86... Help?

Post by KristjannaDalsgarð »

Hi there. I'm new. I hope this goes under "Linux" as I didn't see an android section in the main list. If not, I'm sorry.

My laptop's network card (or whatever) is completely fried. No WiFi, no ethernet, nothing. So I discovered the wonderful world of pdanet. Now my old android phone (I have no serviced phone) is a dedicated USB network adapter. However, now, I have no android. I decided I'd find a way to emulate android on my laptop so I could use the basic android apps I was using before (primarily kik). I tried BlueStacks and Andy or whatever, but both were outside of my med/low-end laptop's reach. I discovered you can install android in Virtualbox, and have done so (Excellent program, by the way. Thank you). However, I cannot seem to connect to the internet using this combination. I selected bridged adapter and then pdanet in the network settings, but to no avail. Does anyone know how to complete the circuit in this strange mechanism I've created for myself?

Clearly I'm not the most technical person around XD
Any help would be much obliged.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: PDAnet with Virtualbox and Android-x86... Help?

Post by Perryg »

Moved to the proper location.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: PDAnet with Virtualbox and Android-x86... Help?

Post by mpack »

You should try configuring the Android VM for NAT networking, to begin with anyway.

Bridged wants to use a traditional ethernet NIC on your laptop. It can sometimes be made to work with a wireless NIC. It won't work with a phone connection.

NAT will work, provided the host is able to access the internet.