Android Guest on Linux Host

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
nypaulie
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7, 4M-Linux-16.0, Motorola Xoom-4.1.1, Mac OS X Mavericks

Android Guest on Linux Host

Post by nypaulie »

Has this subject been discussed yet? I did an installation yesterday and although it runs a bit sluggishly it is working for me. I would like to be able to transfer files to this system and haven't yet found a way to do this. Having done some Android programming I would like to be able to try out some of the apk's I've created using this guest. I added a shared folder seemingly with success but I don't know how to "find" it using the directory search app. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
My Host OS is Linux Mint 17 on a T61 Thinkpad and I installed "android-x86-4.0-r1-thinkpad.iso" as the Guest.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Android Guest on Linux Host

Post by loukingjr »

Android is not a supported guest. which you should have seen in the other thread you posted to: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65563&p=311738#p309633
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
nypaulie

Post by nypaulie »

loukingjr wrote:Android is not a supported guest. which you should have seen in the other thread you posted to: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65563&p=311738#p309633
Thank you for responding, but please clarify what you mean by "supported". As I mentioned I have already succeeded in the installation. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I have done so far since yesterday. I got the USB to be recognized, so now I can transfer my apks. The screenshot shows the icon for "Paul's Books". This is a program I wrote which uses a database holding my ebook collection. Using this Android OS as a testing ground will enable me to optimize my graphics, etc. - my main purpose here.
Attachments
Android-on-VB.jpg
Android-on-VB.jpg (95.45 KiB) Viewed 5999 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Not supported basically means we don't answer questions about it.
nypaulie

Post by nypaulie »

loukingjr wrote:Not supported basically means we don't answer questions about it.
Is it "off limits" then to discuss it? I know that's the case with MacOS, but I didn't think Google was also taboo.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Good Grief. First of all, it's fine to discuss Mac OS if the discussion is how to install an OSX guest on Apple hardware. If you choose to "discuss" your Android install in VirtualBox I'm sure the mods will be the ones to decide if the discussion has gone far enough.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Android is just not in the official supported guest OS list from Oracle.
So it is nice that it is running somehow, but many features don't work, and the developers don't really care about it ;)
Raven

Post by Raven »

1. Set up a ftp server on your host and get an Android ftp client. Or use an Android file manager that supports ftp. Be sure you use bridged networking in your guest's configuration.

2. Set up a Windows share on your host and get an Android file mananger that supports SMB. Be sure you use bridged networking in your guest's configuration.

3. Install a Linux guest and attach your android.vdi to it. Don't run both guests at the same time.
nypaulie

Post by nypaulie »

I am having zero difficulty using Android on my Linux host and yes I am using "bridged" networking as you suggest. My USB drive connects fine so file transfers via this method are OK too.
Forgot to mention that the B4A Bridge is also working for me. This allows me to "audition" my apps (apks) written in basic 4 android form.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Android is not supported, but discussion of it on this site it is not a problem - there's no copyright infringement involved, unlike OS X on non Apple hardware.

As for what "not supported" means, and putting it as kindly as possible, it means that the devs don't give a rats ass about Android, and are not swayed by how useful Android support would be to non paying customers, so any success you might have with it is entirely accidental... :)
DeanGibson
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Andyroid, Win XP

Post by DeanGibson »

mpack wrote:Android is not supported, but discussion of it on this site it is not a problem ... the devs don't give a rats ass about Android ... :)
OK, good. I was first introduced to VirtualBox via "Andyroid" (the http://www.andyroid.net one), which uses VirtualBox. After I got that working (NOT for games!), I thought I'd try it with a Win XP guest (see signature), and that works as well.

What I'm looking for is place to discuss Andyroid with other KNOWLEDGEABLE users. The support model that the Andyroid developers use is (gag) Facebook, which is an absolutely insane support model (that's not the only poor software development model they have). It's complicated by over 2000 new users every month, most of whom are idiot gamers (if you don't believe my assessment, check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/AndySupport ). Assuming your post gets a response from the volunteer support group, you better check back in within a few hours, or your comment/response will be buried in a sea of useless, whiny posts.

I guarantee you that I am not looking for any support from Oracle or people here. I've posted this with some trepidation, because the last thing I want to happen, is for Andyroid gamers to come here and start asking questions about why their favorite game does not work, or how to get their joystick to emulate a touch screen. So, if you say "#@!! NO", I won't be offended.

As for my background (skip over the recent flight instructor stuff; I'm retired in 2008 from 40+ years of software development): https://www.linkedin.com/in/deankgibson
VirtualBox 4.3.24 w/ corresponding extpack.
Host: Win 7 SP1/64-bit (i7 CPU w/8GB RAM)
Guest #1: Andyroid 0.41 (1 core, 1GB RAM)
Guest #2: Win XP SP3/32bit (4 virtual cores, 3GB RAM) + Guest Additions 4.3.23
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DeanGibson wrote:The support model that the Andyroid developers use is (gag) Facebook, which is an absolutely insane support model
There's no market, and no rewards for resources spent on x86 Android. Facebook is no doubt just what a founding member already had. Effectively you're talking about a free fan site, so you can't expert big bucks standards.

As I said, you're free to discuss Android Qs here, share knowledge etc. "Other Guests" is the right forum too. Just try not to pose questions in the form "when can we have x" and "why doesn't y work in Android...", because that can get pretty wearing. You can simply assume that the answers are "(x) when a large number of paying customers ask for it" and "(y) because the devs don't give a rats ass about Android until (x) happens!" :twisted: If you can impress on your colleagues to manage expectations then that would be great too.