How do you install or run Fractint(DOS) in VB?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: How do you install or run Fractint(DOS) in VB?

Post by loukingjr »

yeah, lol I forgot to reinstall it because I had to redownload VB to get the install log. one minute. I fixed my computer's name although I don't know why it changed. taking to Apple as I type. :)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

installing the ext pack fixed FreeDOS. Repairing permissions fixed my computer name. We're good. :)
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

loukingjr wrote:installing the ext pack fixed FreeDOS
OK, that's weird. There isn't really anything in the ExtPack that DOS should care about...
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

beats me. I get to the c: prompt now. I didn't before. of course I haven't figured out how to run the program yet. I've never used DOS.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:There isn't really anything in the ExtPack that DOS should care about...
Well, I share your feelings, but I can confirm what Louis observed. I uninstalled VirtualBox, installed again minus the ExtPack, and sure enough, same screenshot as Louis. And CPU at 100%. I believe that this might require a bug report? Or at least an explanation?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Well, after a little reading I have Fractint open and running. Reminds me of the Vic 20. :)
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

socratis wrote:
michaln wrote:There isn't really anything in the ExtPack that DOS should care about...
Well, I share your feelings, but I can confirm what Louis observed. I uninstalled VirtualBox, installed again minus the ExtPack, and sure enough, same screenshot as Louis. And CPU at 100%. I believe that this might require a bug report? Or at least an explanation?
Yes, please open a ticket. It sure sounds like a bug to me.

CPU at 100% is probably not a bug OTOH, just DOS being DOS.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

It is a bug... but not in VirtualBox. The error/hang is caused by very strange behavior of JEMMEX.EXE shipped with FreeDOS. It's not clear to me what happens, it looks like JEMMEX finds some UMBs in the EF00-EFFF range but somehow falls apart in that case.

It can be worked around by adding X=EF00-EFFF to the JEMMEX command line. Note that the statement should have no effect because JEMMEX already detects a ROM in the E200-EFFF area, but it does. Adding for example I=D000-DFFF also works around it. Or I=E000-EFFF.

Selecting the second (or 3rd or 4th) option in the FreeDOS boot menu also works around the problem (and allows one to edit FDCONFIG.SYS).

The reason why the extpack makes a difference is simply the size of the network boot ROM in extension pack. It looks like it doesn't matter what the network boot ROM does or doesn't do, it's simply the size that confuses JEMMEX. I don't currently see anything obvious that could be changed in VirtualBox to make FreeDOS work without the extpack.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And imagine I didn't open that bug report after all, because I wanted to make a thorough report :D
Thanks michaln.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.