Os/2 v2.11 networking challenge. Please help

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Qblitz

Os/2 v2.11 networking challenge. Please help

Post by Qblitz »

Hello
The following is our experience with trying to network an application hosted on the OS2. Evidently we are doing something wrong. Can you help us. Ask anything you want.
++++++++++
On the unclassified Windows XP computer, I simplified the setup. I ran the OS/2 VM as an internal-network only, no bridge nor NAT. I set the XP host IP address to 192.168.0.111, and set the OS/2 VM address to 192.168.0.222. I then ran Wireshark on XP computer to sniff everything on the internal network (i.e., all 192.168.0.x traffic). When I initiated a ping from OS/2 to XP, I can see the ARP broadcast "Who is 192.168.0.111? Tell 192.168.0.222.", as well as confirming the MAC within the ARP matched what I gave to OS/2. XP then replied with the correct ARP resolution.

Within OS/2, I watched the network statistics (netstat -i). I could see that the transmit count increased. However, the receive count never changed from zero.

There are [at least] four possible reasons for the observed behaviors:

1. XP has a firewall blocking outbound ARP.
2. VirtualBox does not route outbound Ethernet frames to the OS/2 VM virtual device.
3. The installed virtual device does not signal to OS/2 of a received Ethernet frame.
4. OS/2 has a firewall to ignore messages from the virtual device.

As for #1, I explicitly disabled all Windows firewall.
As for #2, I have not seen VirtualBox fail to route messages to other operating systems.
As for #4, I do not believe this version of OS/2 has a notion of firewalls.

That leaves me to believe the reason is #3. This version of OS/2 is old enough to not have native support for any of the possible VirtualBox network adapters. We tried a few different virtual adapters and OS/2 drivers, none of which worked. VirtualBox supports two families of network adapters - AMD PCNet and Intel e1000. I tried updating the PCNet driver with ones I found online, none of which worked. I tried installing an e1000 driver, but that did not work either. (A blog posted claimed that this particular version of OS/2 cannot use that particular e1000 driver.)
test environment.jpg
test environment.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Os/2 v2.11 networking challenge. Please help

Post by ChipMcK »

ak120
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: OS/2, Windows NT

Post by ak120 »

I don't know which Version of AMD PCnet NDIS Driver is used. I'm guessing that you're using IBM TCP/IP 2.0. Latest Service packs and fixes should have been applied already. Also MPTS should be at syslevel of WR084xx?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

You need to describe the guest software in a lot more detail. OS/2 2.11 doesn't come with any networking, so everything is an add-on. But what is it? What's the network stack, what's the NIC driver exactly...?

As far as I know, this should be a workable setup in principle, but again since networking will be an add-on, everything depends on exactly what is in the VM.

The AMD PCnet driver from AMD is known to work with OS/2 versions going as far back as 1.21, so I don't think that should be a problem, but lots of other things could be.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

OK, just for fun I tried installing OS/2 2.11 (XR06200), LAPS (WR06000) and TCP/IP 2.0 (UN50382). With the AMD PCnet driver version 2.50 (PCNTND.OS2 dated 5-08-95) and NAT, ping definitely does work and netstat -i shows both sent and received packets. I didn't try any other configuration, this was just a sanity check.
Qblitz

Post by Qblitz »

this problem was solved by upgrading the OS to WARP
thanks everyone!!!

p.s. i have another problem having to do with getting OS 2 WARP to recognize a parallel port.. Please see my new posts under Qblitz

New Bitmap Image.jpg
New Bitmap Image.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
thank you