"Andy" and V'Box guest as USB device

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
BunsenH

"Andy" and V'Box guest as USB device

Post by BunsenH »

I've been poking a bit at the "Andy" Android emulator, which runs as a VirtualBox guest. Can anyone please tell me if it's possible to configure such a guest so that it appears to the host computer to be a USB device connected to the host? My under-the-hood knowledge of such things is quite limited, I'm afraid. I do know how to get the guest to take control of a USB flash drive on the host; that isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: "Andy" and V'Box guest as USB device

Post by ChipMcK »

My observations are that site Genymotion has the greatest accumulated knowledge about the Android emulater.

google search on Genymotion.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

BunsenH wrote:I've been poking a bit at the "Andy" Android emulator, which runs as a VirtualBox guest. Can anyone please tell me if it's possible to configure such a guest so that it appears to the host computer to be a USB device connected to the host?
I'm afraid not. VirtualBox can't simulate a USB slave.
BunsenH

Post by BunsenH »

mpack wrote:
BunsenH wrote:I've been poking a bit at the "Andy" Android emulator, which runs as a VirtualBox guest. Can anyone please tell me if it's possible to configure such a guest so that it appears to the host computer to be a USB device connected to the host?
I'm afraid not. VirtualBox can't simulate a USB slave.
Ah, I didn't even know that there was a proper term for it: "USB slave". Thank you for that.

And now that I search this forum for that term, I see that I'm not the only person to have asked about it. Would it be worth it to fire off a "what about this?" future-feature suggestion to the developers? I infer that there isn't a lot of demand for it, but I'm not the only person who'd find it useful.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

BunsenH wrote:Would it be worth it to fire off a "what about this?" future-feature suggestion to the developers? I infer that there isn't a lot of demand for it, but I'm not the only person who'd find it useful.
I suspect it would be a lot of work, so if paying customers aren't asking for it then I doubt the devs would be interested. Added to which is that Android is not a supported guest either, so features that would be good for Android users don't score very high.