OpenBSD 4.3 GUEST works! ...sort of

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.

Post by Guest »

oh ... painful.
It is worse.
OpenBSD (i386 = 32-bit) absolutely hates the fixed disk now.
Creates all the partitions and then promptly states filesystem is full. :shock:
I tried OpenBSD 4.3 and it did the same thing so IT IS VBOX 2.1 that is the most likely culprit.
...of course it could be me or XPx64 ... but 2.1 was a "major" change and it appears that for OpenBSD, it was not for the better.

Anyway TOO much effort for such an OS: All I can say is that if the OpenBSD developer *really* wants people to buy CDs, t-shirts and otherwise support his efforts, you fooled me.
[RANT WAS HERE]
Hard to believe they *advertise* that they have been beating people up like that for 14 years.

I might look at it again but I am too beat-up at the moment ...need a (long) break.

Post by Guest »

sandervl wrote:If you want to run OpenBSD, then use a cpu with VT-x or AMD-V. We are aware of issues in the software virtualization mode, but have no plans to fix them. There is currently not enough customer demand to warrant the time and effort to investigate this.
I know that you are trying to help but I have strong objections to this line of thought. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rev E Opterons that I have. I made a huge investment in them just a few years ago. They should run for many more years and to just toss them away for, of all things, VirtualBox (or any other Virtualization product) is almost a criminal act.

The fact is that HW assisted virtualization is minimal benefit at best and in terms of cost per task improvement, it does not even come close to being a worthwhile investment at this time. In another year or two, next generation CPU, maybe it will be.

I don't see Sun getting their stock price back up with that kind of attitude. That makes me sad as I like Sun. Sun does many good things. I hope that next year we won't be saying '' too bad about Sun Microsystems, Sun *did* a lot of good things. ''

I know that probably won't change V'Box -vs- OpenBSD since so few people on planet Earth run *BSD. ...Understandable but I surely hope their is some *serious* discussion about fixing VirtualBox to be a better virtualization product by adhering to standards and making it easier to use by allowing, e.g., 64-bit OS guests on 64-bit CPUs that do not have hardware assists for virtualization.
Tom6
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Various

Re: OpenBSD 4.3 GUEST works! ...sort of

Post by Tom6 »

ajd4096 wrote:
sandervl wrote:We are aware of issues in the software virtualization mode, but have no plans to fix them. ... There is currently not enough customer demand to warrant the time and effort to investigate this.
A lot of minor "issues" eventually turn into vulnerabilities.

Just adding my polite request to the "demand".
Guest wrote:I don't see Sun getting their stock price back up with that kind of attitude. That makes me sad as I like Sun. Sun does many good things. I hope that next year we won't be saying '' too bad about Sun Microsystems, Sun *did* a lot of good things. ''
Oooh, the irony. At least Oracle appears to be quite strong even with an apparently similar attitude. Lets hope they pull through because they are better than many alternatives.
Regards from Tom :)
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Re: OpenBSD 4.3 GUEST works! ...sort of

Post by fixedwheel »

Tom6 wrote:
ajd4096 wrote:
sandervl wrote:We are aware of issues in the software virtualization mode, but have no plans to fix them. ... There is currently not enough customer demand to warrant the time and effort to investigate this.
[...]
[...]
Oooh, the irony. At least Oracle appears to be quite strong even with an apparently similar attitude. ...
unfortunately your quote is missing the most important part:
sandervl wrote:If you want to run OpenBSD, then use a cpu with VT-x or AMD-V. We are aware of issues ...
now as VT-x and AMD-V are by no means rare CPU features today, did you try with such a CPU?