OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

Re: OS/2 Warp 3 HELP!

Post by J.L. »

I just noticed clipboard sharing isn't working like it should, and VBoxService.exe requires TCPIP32.

Will work on that tomorrow, but eistel.org looks confusing, especially "Copy the CSF f.i. from your DDPack and unpack into the correct directory structure as for FP15".

And lastly, please tell me the correct format for STARTUP.CMD. Is it just one line of 'c:\OS2Additions\VBoxService.exe'?
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Okay, I have successfully installed wr08610_conv with dskxtrct, but have no clue what to do with wr08620. The extracted files don't seem to include an installer, and I don't know the purpose of FIXT141.DSK
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

Successfully installed wr08620 by diunpack (dskxtrct failed) FIXT141.DSK, running service.exe, and loaddskf the other images. Never got to use W08620B4.DSK for some reason.

Did the same thing with wr08621. dskxtrct worked this time. Still never got to use the 4th disk.

Determined that VBoxService.exe is required for clipboard sharing. Now it runs fine, adding to startup.cmd in this format:
@echo off (makes it invisible?)
C:\OS2Additions\VBoxService.exe
exit (closes startup.cmd, but not the service?)
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

I think I'm done now. Startup.cmd worked, and installed WarpZilla Enhanced (not sure how to execute original zipped version). Please rename this thread to OS/2 Warp 3/4 HELP! Thanks.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

J.L. wrote:Determined that VBoxService.exe is required for clipboard sharing. Now it runs fine, adding to startup.cmd in this format:
@echo off (makes it invisible?)
C:\OS2Additions\VBoxService.exe
exit (closes startup.cmd, but not the service?)
Yes, '@echo off' prevents the commands from being printed before execution. And yes, 'exit' closes the command shell which executed startup.cmd, but VBoxService.exe is written to "daemonize" itself (run itself as a background process) so it's not closed and keeps running.
J.L.

Post by J.L. »

While I think I've finished applying the most important patches, is there nothing else worthwhile to install? And will the thread title please be changed to include Warp 4 that we've been discussing the most?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

J.L. wrote:While I think I've finished applying the most important patches, is there nothing else worthwhile to install?
This is not the place for general OS/2 discussions - it is for Virtualbox.

Go to ex newsgroups comp.os.os2.* and ask away there about
everything you want to know about OS/2.
rwolfe

Post by rwolfe »

I have Warp 3 running under the latest VirtualBox with internet connectivity working great. I just needed to download the AMD PCnet III drivers for OS/2, make a virtual disk image in WinImage and then install the drivers after mounting the floppy disk image. After going through three steps (install the OS, go back and install CDROM support, install networking) and a few reboots, I was golden. Granted, Warp 3 and Warp 3 Connect do NOT have DHCP clients, so your IP information will need to be entered in statically.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

rwolfe wrote: Granted, Warp 3 and Warp 3 Connect do NOT have DHCP clients, so your IP information will need to be entered in statically.
Maybe this can help you:
http://os2ports.smedley.id.au/index.php ... hcp-client

(it is untested under Warp 3)
ak120
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: OS/2, Windows NT

Post by ak120 »

OS/2 Warp 3 has no LAN support. It will have DHCP client support through additional network software, for instance MPTS WR_8610. OS/2 Warp Connect shipped with BOOTP in the included IBM TCP/IP 3.0. By applying later MPTS update (and fixpak) you will also get DHCP client support. A quite good overview can be found here: http://altsan.org/os2/fixpaks/mpts.html
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

The same altsan site (another page: http://altsan.org/os2/fixpaks/os.html ) also has a good overview of latest FP per Warp release, e.g:
  • Warp 3: FP 40
    Warp 4: FP 15
Especially on Warp 3 + FP 40: networking is almost identical to that on Warp4, except the absence of DHCP so you have to assign an IP address manually. No big deal :) Latest browser from those days is Netscape 4.61.