Running DOS Programs On VirtualBox

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Zunebuggy

Running DOS Programs On VirtualBox

Post by Zunebuggy »

Just got VirtualBox installed last night and I got DOS 6.22 installed and everything seems to be good. Now I have a virtual 500MB C: drive for this virtualbox DOS. I understand it is virtual, but is there any way I can get some of the DOS executables I want to run, copied from my not virtual drive (where they are now) to the C: drive.

I cannot find any HowTos on this so it must be so simple I am missing something, but hey I am really new to Virtualbox.

Thank you in adavnce.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Running DOS Programs On VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

You have to copy the files onto a floppy image or CD image (ISO) which you mount in the VM. The ISO holds much more, but can only be used if you've set up CD drivers in the guest.

Another way is to mount the DOS drive as a secondary drive in a more capable VM.
CTM99

Post by CTM99 »

Hi mpack,

I just set up a DOS 6.22 guest. All seems fine. I also created an ISO with files I want to read into the guest.
But after I associate that iso with the CD/DVD drive, I can't tell which drive letter to use to access it.
(Tried D: through H:) none work.

Any guidance? Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

CTM99 wrote:Any guidance?
mpack wrote:but can only be used if you've set up CD drivers in the guest.
Did you set up the drivers as mpack said?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dlharper
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

Remember that, as well as setting up the CD-ROM driver, you also need to set up MSCDEX.EXE. (It is most usual to set up the driver in CONFIG.SYS and MSCDEX in AUTOEXEC.BAT.) You will need to specify a name that both can recognise which you have to give in the /d switch. You specify which drive letter is to be used for the CD with the /l switch of MSCDEX, or if you omit this then the first available letter is used.
CTM99

Post by CTM99 »

Thank you. I'll get on that.