Booting an old HD, OS/2

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
RChadwick

Booting an old HD, OS/2

Post by RChadwick »

Back in the mid 90's, I ran a BBS (Remember those? :) on OS/2. I recently found the Hard Drive, although the rest of the computer is long gone. I made an image of the hard drive (A whopping 400mb), but not sure what to do with it. What are the odds I could boot this up in a VM?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Booting an old HD, OS/2

Post by michaln »

RChadwick wrote:I made an image of the hard drive (A whopping 400mb), but not sure what to do with it. What are the odds I could boot this up in a VM?
Depends on the machine's hardware. If it was a plain vanilla PC with IDE disks and no special hardware, odds are decent (though one issue will be different graphics hardware). If the system used a SCSI controller that doesn't fortuitously happen to be one of the few VirtualBox emulates, it'll be much harder. Though with OS/2 still not impossible, as it's usually just a matter of editing CONFIG.SYS.

Oh, and with a 400MB drive, there might be an issue with the disk's geometry, depending on what it was originally.