Netware 5 install

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
pcmaster12

Netware 5 install

Post by pcmaster12 »

I'd like to install netware 5 in a Vbox guest, but having issues. I found novell floppy with dos, made .img and mounted it. boot up loads dos fine. The remaining install process involves running a script or something similar of CD. I tried mapping direct to host drive, and accessing, and just making iso and mapping to iso. neither of these work. I tried changing drive letters up though like K and nothing. I thought vbox would carry over host letter when mapped direct, but it don't look like it. :oops: Is there some way to assign a static guest letter in virtualbox? The novell dos looks similar to MSdos with drive letters not like liux with \dev\disk\. :?
I tried on an old desktop, but was too new, and drivers weren't available, netware refuse to finish install until you give PATA driver, and nic driver. I considered using an old server from like 95, but remembered that only supports SCSI and no ide if adaptec has driver still for netware, and issue of dos and SCSI.
Any ideas what to do, will this even work because of rarity of drivers for newer hardware? I know vbox isn't "hardware", but it acts like may though since more control than real system.
Last edited by noteirak on 1. Nov 2013, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to "Other guest sections"
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Netware 5 install

Post by michaln »

What media exactly are you installing from? Do you have a bootable NetWare installation CD?

I have installed NetWare 5 in VirtualBox before, so it's definitely possible. Unfortunately it's not very clear to me what you have and what exactly you're doing.
pcmaster12

Post by pcmaster12 »

I'm trying to install net ware from ether CD or ISO. My documentation for install says boot from DOS 3.3 or better. use fdisk to make 50MB boot partition. format /s boot parttition. Install software to access CD-ROM . make sure config.sys contains the following commands files=40 buffers=30.
Insert Cd at prompt enter install go though install sequence.

It doesn't appear cd is bootable so have to do from dos, and somehow make it see the cdrom. So far i haven't found how to do that I'm guessing like MSdos that like D: would get to cd rom drive for running install command. I tried many letters, and nothing let me access the vbox drive. not sure wether related to DOS in virtual environment, or driver. If driver I don't know what to use for said driver except a universal one, from experience those aren't that good.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Aha. You need to install a CD-ROM device driver plus MSCDEX. Your DOS version might come with the latter but almost certainly not the former. OAKCDROM.SYS should work, I've had good experience with VIDE-CDD.SYS.
pcmaster12

Post by pcmaster12 »

ok kind of what I was thinking could be, but wasn't sure what was best for Vbox drive. i'll look into those drivers you mentioned not sure what i'll do to get drivers in though. My DOS boot is a .img file so have to find some way to open it and add driver or add another virtual FDD and point to driver possibly.
working on do part of install now. get to part in fdisk says "enter disk size in hole MB disk is 4GB or 4096Mb I enter 4096, and enter then it just disappears and nothing happens not sure what's up with that whether needs disk driver also or what.
mlobo
Primary OS: FreeBSD
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, XP, Win7 & Mac

Post by mlobo »

There it is! Novell-5 with windows 98 running on a pure IPX environment in VBOX 4.2.20 (freeBSD 9.2 host)
Attachments
Novell5.png
Novell5.png (125.2 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Kumba
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: WinNT4, Win2k, Win2k3, Win2019, Win11, Devuan, OpenBSD, MS-DOS 7.10, NW312, NW42SP9, NW65SP8, OmniOS

Post by Kumba »

If you search Google for NW51SP7ED or NW51SP8EE, you'll find links to Novell's download site to access bootable ISO's for NW5.1. Don't know about NW5.0. This also works for NW6.0, via NW6SP5ED. Note that you'll need an active Novell account (not affiliated with a company or anything, basic enough to post on their forums will work) to download the ISOs. NW4.x and earlier, however, can be a lot harder to hunt down (as well as installing, but that's a matter for another thread).
londres173

Post by londres173 »

Buenas tardes .
Este es mi caso:

Necesito instalar el novell netware 5.0 en un servidor proliant ml350 g5 o g6, pero estos modelos d proliant no tienen soporte para esa version de novell.
Podria instalar el vrtuallbox sobre centos 6.4 (host) y a su vez instalar el netware 5.0
como guest.

Good afternoon.
This is my case:

I need to install the novell netware 5.0 on proliant ml350 g5 server or g6, but d proliant these models do not support this version of novell.
Vrtuallbox could install on centos 6.4 (host) and in turn install netware 5.0
as guest.