SkyOS Public Beta

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
J.L.
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows 7

SkyOS Public Beta

Post by J.L. »

http://www.skyos.org/?q=node/651

Just noticed it was released ~3 months ago, how should I configure VirtualBox for it? Is 4 GB disk space enough? Audio doesn't seem to work, it states there's no drivers available for all 3 controllers. Network needs to be configured as PCnet-PCI II. Custom VESA resolutions appears to have desktop refresh issues, but otherwise fine.

Haven't tried installing to the hard drive yet, but I plan to do that after knowing how to fix the audio problem. Thanks.
Windows 10 is the actual host, not 8 (no option).
grimmster

Re: SkyOS Public Beta

Post by grimmster »

I just tried to install SkyOS also, and it would not install to harddrive. No harddrive shows up in the list. I tried all combos of settings I could think of, but never got the hard drive to appear. The sound was not a concern to me at all, I didn't even know it did not work as I disable that to begin with.

If anyone figures out a setting to make the hard drive appear, post away!
dlharper
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Re: SkyOS Public Beta

Post by dlharper »

As regards grimmster's question about the hard drive, it appears that the problem is in the partitioning routine. (The system does admit there is a problem.) Try partitioning the (virtual) hard disk with something else before trying to install SkyOS on it. I tried booting first using a Win98 boot floppy image. You can run FDISK from this and create a partition. After this boot from the SkyOS CD and install. Do not repartition when it suggests you do (it is flagged as a FAT partition, of course) - just reformat.

I presume a Linux partitioner would work just as well.