Installing OS/2 Warp 4

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
srobot

Installing OS/2 Warp 4

Post by srobot »

I'm installing OS/2 Warp 4 Blue on VirtualBox 1.5.6, but on disk 2 (as soon as I hit enter from disk 1) it gets hung on the 'spash screen' (the first screen on disk 2).

It has been hanging like this for over 20 min.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks!
emn8w8
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OS/2 (Warp 4-4.52), eComStation (1.2...2.0RC7, IBM PC_DOS, Windows XP

Post by emn8w8 »

i have managed to install my Warp 4 (Merlin, I don't know if it's called Blue...) on VBox 1.5.6....It took lots of coffee and all the patience I could get...:D
But first: which version of Warp do you have exactly? A kernel # would come in very handy; you can find this out by grepping the file "os2krnli" on diskette 0 while looking for the phrase:"Internal revision "; if the returned result is followed by a number like 9.023 then that's your kernel #. And which diskettes are you using: the ones that belong to your original Warp? In that case you will be probably better of with the updated diskettes IBM passed around in 1998.
Best regards, Erik
srobot

Post by srobot »

Thank you for replying!

Internal revision 9.023, 95/11/07

I have no idea about the diskettes, a friend gave them to me, and he had no idea either. I don't know if this helps, but I have 39 diskettes.

When I install and it gets frozen there is NO diskette activeity.

I'll try again.

--Scotty
srobot

Post by srobot »

I've let it run for 3 hours, it still hangs on that screen... Any ideas?
emn8w8
Guest OSses: OS/2 (Warp 4-4.52), eComStation (1.2...2.0RC7, IBM PC_DOS, Windows XP

Post by emn8w8 »

Well, Scotty, It seems we have the same Warp version; at least the kernel # and date do match. Apparently you don't have the CD; that is a pity, because changing 40+ disks is a stiff job..do you use a real floppy drive or the virtual one?
But even more important: what processor is in your machine? OS/2 on VirtualBox requires hardware assisted virtualization and that's provided only on some AMD processors: the Athlon family and some Turion models; I can't tell which Intel models have this. If your processor isn't qualified for this, it is not possible to run OS/2 on VirtualBox. In that case you could consider trying to run OS/2 on qemu; it seems that qemu is somewhat more tolerant towards OS/2 in this aspect.

Best regards, Erik
kenyee

Post by kenyee »

I found Warp 4 install to be a total PITA on VirtualBox. You have to use disk images and tell VirtualBox to install from the disk images (not floppies). Floppies will work, but you have to unmount/remount sometimes. You can search down in the forum for my posts on how much pain I went through and then I got stuck trying to get the Fixpack to install so I could get the Virtualbox Guest Additions to work (which requires the Fixpack).

Download Warp 4.52 from the usual <cough> sources. You can just install off the CD and it'll be pretty painless using VirtualBox 1.5.6.
edurrant

Post by edurrant »

The handbook does indeed say that for OS/2 clients you need hardware virtualisation - this is available however in Intel as well as AMD processors - both are acceptable as far as I know - try turning it on in properties befiore you start.

My experience with QEMU (albeit from a few years ago) was that it was horribly slow. Rather than QEMU you may want to try VirtualPC - that's assuming you are on Windoze not Linux - which may be a wrong assumption.

Cheers/2

Ed.
srobot

Post by srobot »

Thanks guys!

My Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, does not have hardware assisted virtualization, so I guess I'm not going to be installing OS/2 anytime soon...

This summer I'm getting a new computer (I'm thinking of the Alienware m15x), and hope to buy an Intel X9000 for it.

I'll update you once I get my new computer.
emn8w8

Post by emn8w8 »

YW..Good luck..!

Erik
edurrant

Post by edurrant »

For people reading this wiki item, here is intels chart of which of its processors have VT and which not:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... re2duo.htm

Unfortunately as srobot says his T550 is one of the ones that do not have VT.

Cheers/2

Ed.