Installing guest additions in OS/2 Warp 4.52

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
brbaum

Installing guest additions in OS/2 Warp 4.52

Post by brbaum »

As the title says, I would like to install the guest additions in Warp 4.52. I gave the readme a look, and it says create a folder, and some other things, but I find that it is not concise enough for my needs.

I've been a Windows/Linux user for like forever, but I have little experience in the command line, and I really would like to use OS/2, since I find it far more powerful than Windows ever was.

Any help would be much appreciated.
edurrant

Post by edurrant »

If you mount the additions ISO, there is an OS2 directory and within there a readme.txt that tells you how to install the additions.

It does seem to be rather basic however - hopefully there will be a small install program written later.

Before you even try to install the additions however, the point in the readme about gengradd is VERY relevant. This *MUST* be the video driver that you have installed when you did the OS/2 install. Depending upon how old the version is that you installed it may have installed Gengradd, an emulated video card driver for the card presented by the virtualisation engine or the SNAP video drivers.

If when you boot the OS/2 guest, you press alt+F1 when the OS/2 [blob] is on the top left hand corner of the screen, you are taken into a recovery screen - it may have an option in the menu (again depending upon which version of OS/2 (and CP/FP additions) you are running) that says set video to GenGradd - if it does, do this before attempting to follow the instructions in the additions readme.txt file.

Many people who run OS/2 natively now run eComStation (http://www.ecomstation.com), the current latest version being 2.0RC4, this is more likely to have the libc and other additional dll files included in it, otherwise you will need to search for those requirements also - you could start at hobbes.nmsu.edu (note NO WWW).

Good luck

Cheers/2

Ed.