MSDOS 6 22 Install Cannot read disk 2

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
geekphreak

MSDOS 6 22 Install Cannot read disk 2

Post by geekphreak »

When I install MSDOS 6.22 I get through disk 1, but hangs up on disk 2. I can read the disk in XP, but I get the Abort, Retry, Fail. Same with other install disks...it does not like disk 2. (FYI..I turned off my firewall, and anti virus for the install which hung it up at the format of C: stage. Please help
philtipping

Post by philtipping »

Normally I would expect Ctrl+C would force DOS to re-access the floppy drive, but this didn't work for me (I use a USB floppy on the host).
However, unmounting the floppy drive (under Devices) & remounting it fixed the problem, although it does seem a bit cumbersome. Have to do this every time you change the floppy disc.
Hope this helps.
Phil.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Depending on your problem:
- with 2nd floppy: unmount floppy followed by mount; or change to images (once you've created them, e.g. with Floopy, you can install DOS much faster). Register the images and mount them one by one.
- stuck on format c: you can reset the VM (don't remove the floppy !) or reboot and use F8 to skip processing autoexec.bat and do a manual format c: etc.
ray326

Post by ray326 »

Excellent hints, ghr! Got me going in DOS 6.22 on Ubuntu right away.