Nexenta NAT networking issue

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
pedlo

Nexenta NAT networking issue

Post by pedlo »

I successfully installed Nexenta 1.0RC2 with VBox 1.5.4 in my good old P4 2.4Ghz 1GBram.

Unfortunately NAT networking isn't working, while It works flawlessly with the various Mandriva, Opensuse, etc...
In Nexenta I can boot into the command line, but when I launch "apt-get update" the connection doesn't work. I can see the small icon of the Vbox networking icon flashing seldomly, but that's it.
I think 90% this is a Nexenta issue, not Vbox.

any hints?
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

Geez, this is getting ridiculous.
I've spent the last two hours trying to adjust the connection using linux commands, but obviously they don't work (e.g., there is no /etc/sysconfig directory).
But i can't get to work Solaris commands either.

And Nexenta forums are really poor.
This way, I'm loosing my happiness...
any hints?
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

As a last try, i did a complete system re-installation, disabling dhcp and manually configuring this:
machine IP: 10.0.2.15
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 10.0.2.2
dns: 10.0.2.3
These was supposed to be the default values to work with virtualbox,
but still I have no results.
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

I decided to install this OS to see if I had the problem. I can "ping 10.0.2.2" and be told the gateway is alive, so as far as I know, NAT is doing it's thing and the network connectivity is there. Apt-get just seems to hang though.

Have you been able to confirm that the apt-get works at all? Resources for this OS seem kind of weak, so it could be down and you'd have to find that out somehow.
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

I tried ping-ing 10.0.2.2, 10.0.2.3, 10.0.2.15, none of them worked. apt-get did't work either.
I deleted the virtual machine and I'm trying gentoo from stage1, which has a similar approach (installation through network from command line). At first it gave me exactly the same problem of Nexenta, (no ping, no network even with ifconfig returning correct values). then i tried "disconnecting and reconnecting" the virtual cable of the network card, and now it works flawlessly. It's installing gentoo right now.
I'll try it with nexenta. Maybe it's just because of my host configuration, I should step from Win2000 to WinXp.

Thanks for caring,
pedlo
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

pedlo: Solaris on VirtualBox doesn't works for me. At all.

I would consider improving VirtualBox to the point, where it will run Solaris flawlessy, and only then move to Solaris-based systems: Nevada, Indiana and Nexenta.

If you're developer, that you can contribute directly, if not, you can sit-n-wait, until situation improves.

-Technologov
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

Tried nexenta again, configured for using dhcp.
ping -c 3 10.0.2.2 <no answer>
ping -c 3 10.0.2.3 <no answer>
ping -c 3 10.0.2.15 : i get "10.0.2.15 is alive", which is normal, 'cause it's the Nexenta guest IP. So, still no networking.
Same after disconnecting and reconnecting the "virtual cable". I can see the networking icon flashing seldomly (only red flashing), that's it.

>If you're developer, that you can contribute directly,
Yeah, totally agree. But even if i know some cpp, hacking Vbox successfully requires a lot of time, skills, etc...
>if not, you can sit-n-wait, until situation improves.
OR we can provide info on what is working and what is not;
e.g.: in my configuration Host(Win2000, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB) NAT networking does'n work with Nexenta guest.

pedlo
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

Just tried Nexenta RC3.
This time, after the correct installation and the first reboot, it says it couldn't configure dhcp for ae0.
So no networking yet, and I'm not trying any further.
pedlo
skibrianski

Re: Nexenta NAT networking issue

Post by skibrianski »

pedlo, Technologov: I have no problems whatsoever with my solaris 10 VM on vbox, I use it all the time and it's rock solid in my experience. This is from an ubuntu gutsy/amd64 host with dpkg version 1.5.4-27034_Ubuntu_gutsy.

With my first boot into nexenta, I was able to get a DHCP lease and wget google.com. However, after that something went wrong and I could no longer access the network. I rebooted the VM, still no dice. After stopping all VMs, and restarting virtualbox itself, I was able to wget google.com again - once, then the network went kapoof, again. Unfortunately, setting the VM type to "Other" instead of "Solaris" doesn't help. Bummer!

My two cents is: If you need a solaris based distro, get Solaris10 downloaded from Sun.

Good luck!
mikas

Post by mikas »

I had exactly the same problem. For me this worked out (downloading deb-packages as of writing this...)
In Linux shell type: VBoxManage modifyvm Nexanta -nictype1 Am79C970A (replace Nexanta as the name of your virtual machine)
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

I tried it on a windows console, beacuse I'm running win2K as host, but I still get "Failed to configure interface ae0" at boot.

Here's an extract form Vbox manual:
"-nictype<1-N> Am79C970A|Am79C973: This allows you, for each of the VM's virtual network cards, to specify whether the host will see the network adaptors as 10 Mbps AMD PCnet 79C970A cards or as 100Mbps 79C973 cards. This is in fact purely cosmetic, as both virtual cards run at full speed."

However, thank for caring
pedlo

Post by pedlo »

FINALLY WORKING OUT OF THE BOX!

Just installed the brand new Nexenta core 1.0.
Works flawlessly, first thing after the first login was succesfully launching "apt-get update".

So finally, it works.
(Just in time for you guys at Vbox to publish Virtualbox for Opensolaris, and for Sun to acquire Innotek).
Now let's wait for Opensolaris guest additions.
Please don't make us wait for long.

pedlo
skibrianski

no dice for me...

Post by skibrianski »

pedlo wrote:FINALLY WORKING OUT OF THE BOX!

Just installed the brand new Nexenta core 1.0.
Works flawlessly, first thing after the first login was succesfully launching "apt-get update".
Hmm, not for me with 1.56 and NC 1.0, unfortunately.

There seems to be something wrong with my vbox install, because both VBoxManage list [ vms | runningvms ] both return no results,

ski@ganiodayo:~$ sudo VBoxManage modifyvm Nexenta -nictype1 Am79C970A
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.5.6
(C) 2005-2008 innotek GmbH
All rights reserved.

[!] FAILED calling virtualBox->FindMachine(Bstr(argv[0]), machine.asOutParam()) at line 3495!
[!] Primary RC = 0x80070057
[!] Full error info present: true , basic error info present: true
[!] Result Code = 0x80070057
[!] Text = Could not find a registered machine named 'Nexenta'
[!] Component = VirtualBox, Interface: IVirtualBox, {76b25f3c-15d4-4785-a9d3-adc6a462beec}
[!] Callee = IVirtualBox, {76b25f3c-15d4-4785-a9d3-adc6a462beec}
skibrianski

Re: no dice for me...

Post by skibrianski »

Update: You can make this change via the GUI too. Go to settings -> network, and then next to "Enable Network Adapter", change Adapter Type to 79C970A.

Seems to do the trick for me, w00t :D .
bk

Solaris 10u4 works

Post by bk »

I just installed Solaris 10 U4 and it works with NAT.
No ping (as stated), but that was documented.