"Other" OSs that VBox can run

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
SnakeMedia

Post by SnakeMedia »

Great dear Erik, cool operating system. I do not know an unknown operating system warp. But i tried a lot of time for searching. But google is a bad and stupid search machine. I miss that operating system about warp os version.

Ok, I use with OpenSolaris OS 12 Version on VirtualBox.

Sorry I do not know because Mac OS X Tiger(applecomputer) can not work. But i need frist with darwin(x86) befote Mac OS X Tiger (x86) installs and works

Regards SnakeMedia
gazzanova

Post by gazzanova »

Belenix based on OpenSolaris but with a KDE frontend, easy installation, runs very smooth, low cpu and ram usage, full support using the opensolaris guest additions, stability very good

PC-BSD based on FreeBSD but with a KDE frontend, easy installation, uses alot of cpu, partial support, sound working, ethernet, stability very good

crhylove

Post by crhylove »

For the record, the new ReactOS .3.7 is working much better. But it's still pretty useless as an OS, as almost everything crashes with a blue screen. Just like early versions of Windows! :)
The MAZZTer
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Chromium OS, Windows

Post by The MAZZTer »

Windows 7 build 6801 works fine in VirtualBox, and my "trusted sources" very close to me tell me the leaked build 6956 works well as well.

The only caveat is when you install the VirtualBox guest additions you have to use the Vista compatibility options on the installer (right click, properties, compatibility).

[Edit: Oh yeah, default sound device will not work out of the box. Run Windows Update and it will download drivers for it. However it may take a couple reboots before sound works. Dunno why.]

[Edit2: Other notes... I use "Windows Vista" as the OS choice when creating the new VM, and I give it 512mb memory which works fine. However when the VM boots in build 6956... according to my sources of course... it sometimes gives a memory error even though there is more than enough memory available on the host. This error can be ignored to no ill effect, it seems.]
mrhobbeys

Post by mrhobbeys »

I have had non-64x FreeBSD working since 2.0.6 it did not work with 2.0.4 (I tried all settings) and 64x will not work aka amd64 (again trying all settings). I know some people will like this and I already broke the news on the freeBSD forums but who knows how many have seen.

Thanks for the great product.
notBald

Post by notBald »

crhylove wrote:For the record, the new ReactOS .3.7 is working much better. But it's still pretty useless as an OS, as almost everything crashes with a blue screen. Just like early versions of Windows! :)
Emphasis mine

Ey! Windows 1.01 is running like a champ in VirtualBox:
And just like Windows Vista it has animated previews (on the "task bar"), "Google Earth", "Performance monitor", a chess game - with network play!, a word processor and an Y2K compliant calendar... "gadget".

Totally rad, huh? Perhaps I should switch to Windows 1.0? If only I can find a browser....

:D

Windows 1.01 runs poorly in VirtualPC and not at all in DosBOX, VMWare and Qemu. In VirtualBOX I've yet to see it crash (witch I can't say for the Vista host), but I have not managed to get the mouse working.
s1oan

MenuetOS

Post by s1oan »

MenuetOS 0.90D running on VirtualBox 2.10 (openSUSE 11.1 64bit host)
s1oan

QNX 6.4.0 on VirtualBox 2.1.2

Post by s1oan »

ashishha
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7.0, Linpus, gOS, Kubuntu, Syllable, ArkLinux, Fluxbuntu and Fedora

Re: "Other" OSs that VBox can run

Post by ashishha »

Hi Guys,

I have tried following OSs on VBox 2.1.4 in a Win XP-professional host. I am not a software tecky i am just doing this out of curiousity and interest so plz pardon me if i ask dumb questions :)

1. Win 7.0 beta Just works great including VBoxguest additions and network with 521 RAM and 5 GB HD, 12 MB Video

2. Kubuntu latest build (KDE) it worked great and i could install VBox additions after i updated it online (network works too) somehow now it is showing me only black screen once i log in as used. Surprisingly upon screen resize i get a glimps of the desktop which disappears soon! Any help plz???

3. gOS (also called Good OS) it also works fine inside the VBox, i tried hard to install VBox additions but all in vain as it is asking for to install GNU compiler! I dont know what and how to do but it works fine otherwise with 256RAm, 4GB HD and network also works great (did all updates but still VBoxAdditions not working) any help here ????

3. Linpus Linux, works fine with 256 RAM, 4 GB HD with network. However I cant install VBox guest additions in this as well as it refuses to run /read cdrom when i say cd /media/cdrom i tried all names like /media/hcdrom and /dev/hcdrom etc etc... Any help here plz???

4. Syllable, works dead slow compared to above all on 512 RAM and 4 GB HD, also dont know how to install VBox Guest Additions????

gOS and Linpus has a great user interface thus would be cool if i can make VBoxAdditions work on them, please help me with this.....

Kind regards,

Ashish
33Nick
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: BeOS, Ubuntu, XP

Post by 33Nick »

Hi S.SubZero,

Could you talk more about your BeOS install? I get stuck at different stages. Once it recognized the CD but got bogged with the actual install and now it gives me a fatal error, no bootable media found.

Thanks for your help.
33Nick
Guest OSses: BeOS, Ubuntu, XP

Post by 33Nick »

Hi S.SubZero,

Could you talk more about your BeOS install? I get stuck at different stages. Once it recognized the CD but got bogged with the actual install and now it gives me a fatal error, no bootable media found.

Thanks for your help.
supremedalek
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by supremedalek »

I run Windows 7 and SCO 5.0.6 (Eeew!) under vbox 2.2.4 in ubuntu 9 in an amd64 box. Both run fine. SCO6 is another bag of cats altogether.
witb
Guest OSses: Solaris / Linux / Windows

Other OS : Minix 3

Post by witb »

Minix 3 run !
But currently no network (There aree few networks cards supported by Minix ... AMD PC NET (emulated by Vmware) is supported but no in VB)
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

33Nick wrote:Hi S.SubZero,

Thanks for your help.
The BeOS image I used is two image files. One is the boot image, the other is the actual installation image. I had to boot the boot image, then after it "hung" I had to unmount the boot image and mount the installation image. It picked up and continued.

There is more to it but I can't quite remember anymore, and BeOS got more and more flaky with later Vbox's so I gave up on it. It never did run very well anyway.
witb
Guest OSses: Solaris / Linux / Windows

Re: "Other" OSs that VBox can run : Android

Post by witb »

Yes VB can run Android v.0.2 Live CD
-> Mouse Support inclued
-> Just create a new VM (Guest=Other/Unknow)
-> Keep defaults parameters

See virtualbox.com from VM : Image

And Live CD Desktop : Image

VB Used : VB 3.0 on Mac Os X 10.5.6 (Leopard)