migrate from OS/2 VM from MS VirtualPC 2004 to VirtualBox?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
kenyee

migrate from OS/2 VM from MS VirtualPC 2004 to VirtualBox?

Post by kenyee »

Anyone get this to work successfully or do you have to install all the diskettes from scratch? :-P

I used TrueImage to image the VirtualPC OS/2 VM, but when I try booting into VirtualPC 1.5.2, I get this error:
MAC Init Error: Could not locate adapter at specified SLOT.
SYS1201: The device driver C:\IBMCOM\MACS\DC21X4.OS2 specified in the statement on line 100 of the CONFIG.SYs was not installed. Line 100 is ignore.
Then I press enter to continue, then it blows up with an exception in some device driver and gives me a register dump :-P
I also tried taking out this line in the config.sys, but got to the same register dump :-P

I'm running w/ AMD VT on an Athlon AM2 chip, so this should work...
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

The problem isn't so much the VM, as much as you have yanked OS/2 out of one machine and slapped it in another. OS/2 really dislikes this.
kenyee

Post by kenyee »

yep...doesn't work in vmware either when I try this.

Just wondering what folks do if they want to move OS/2 from one machine to another. I don't remember having this many issues when I upgpraded my motherboard on an old OS/2 system :-P
kenyee

1.5.2 definitely doesn't work w/ OS2 Warp 4

Post by kenyee »

Finally had more time to fiddle with this (still on 1.5.2)
Just to rule out the migration issue that OS/2 might not be able to autosense new hardware very well, I tried a fresh install from the OS/2 Warp 4 CD and diskettes. It locks up on Disk 2 after it finishes partitioning and asks you to reboot (locks up after the reboot at the Disk 2 point).
At first I thought it was because I custom partitioned (I usually separate the OS/2 and data drives into separate logical partitions), but I tried the "Easy Install" and it had the same failure.

It'd also be nice if Virtualbox would let you specify "both" for installation media. I had to specify floppy, then mount the CD drive afterwards.

For the diskettes, I also had to unmount, then mount the diskette after switching each one.

I just noticed 1.5.4 was released...I'll try it again w/ 1.5.4.
kenyee

1.5.4 doesn't work either

Post by kenyee »

Tried installing OS/2 Warp 4 on 1.5.4 and it doesn't work either. Tried VT-x and non-VT-x.
Guess I'll submit a bug report :-P
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

VT-x or SVM is definitely required. If it still does not work, please file a bug report and attach the VBox.log file.
kenyee

Post by kenyee »

Thanks, Frank. I've attached the vbox.log to my bug report.

If VT-x is required, you should also change the UI to disable the ability to uncheck it. I'll mention that in the bug as well.

From reading the VirtualBox docs, it sounds like VirtualBox can use VT-x but it's slower. I guess some operating systems that use more than Ring 0 need VT-x?
kenyee

Post by kenyee »

Additional note in case other OS/2 users are trying to get it to work as a guest: the CDROM installation fails (lockup on diskette 2 after reboot after you partition the drive). I had to install from the diskette images on the CDROM. Remember to partition the drive w/ NTFS w/ a primary partition smaller than 100MB! I installed to FAT by mistake so now I have to redo it. Dohhh :-P
S.SubZero
Volunteer

Post by S.SubZero »

I don't know about older versions, but OS/2 V4.52 installed fine with a single 2.5GB HPFS partition, and booted off the install CD just fine. Was a smooth install actually, back when I had VBox 1.5.0.
kenyee

Post by kenyee »

This was the OS/2 Warp 4 CD. I didn't realize they made a Warp 4.52 version?
edurrant

Post by edurrant »

Warp V 4.52 is also know as Warp 4 Convienience pack 2 - there were also additional fix packs up to number 5 I think that applied on top of this.

The convienience pack versions of OS/2 came on bootable CDs.

eComStation v 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 were based on this latest version (4.52 with fix packs), version 2.0 we can say is really a new version given the amount of work performed in the driver, GUI and even kernel related software (ACPI) areas.

Cheers/2

Ed.