OpenBSD under VirtualBox 1.4.0

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Reeshar

OpenBSD under VirtualBox 1.4.0

Post by Reeshar »

I've got VirtualBox 1.4.0 running happily under Ubuntu 7.04.

I've created both Win98 and Win2k VMs with no problem. But I've just tried installing both versions of OpenBSD referred to in the 1.4.0 user manual as working ( versions 3.7 and 3.8 ) and there's a problem in both cases with the virtual disk.

Whatever I do eg, different size disks (500MB, 1GB, ...), fixed or dynamic, OpenBSD reports the following on boot-up when trying to install:

Code: Select all

wd0 at pciide0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <ST506>
wd0: 1 sector PIO, CHS, 68MB, 1024 cyl, 8 head, 17 sec, 139264 sectors
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 0
Any suggestions?

Isn't it supposed to use (virtual) UDMA?

And the ST506 was only 5MB formatted, wasn't it? *lol*

Richard
rbutzke

Same Issue Here

Post by rbutzke »

I am having the exact same issue here. I have tried installing 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, and 4.0 versions of OpenBSD but everyone reports seeing the ST506 drive with 64MB. I have also tried Dynamic as well as fixed image sizes. In addition to this I have created an actual partition and tried the Raw Host Hard Drive method. Nothing has worked. I am in the process of evaluating this application and if I cannot get OpenBSD working then I will have to turn to something else, which would be a shame because Virtual Box had some really nice features.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reeshar

Post by Reeshar »

It seems like a parameter-passing issue. Presumably OpenBSD is looking for disk information in a place that VirtualBox isn't expecting. And I assume ST506 is the default drive type OBSD uses if it can't deduce what the real drive actually is.

Disklabel fails as well later on in the process but that's probably to be expected if it's trying to talk PIO when VB is expected UDMA.

I guess what it needs is for someone (I wish I could volunteer but I'm not a programmer!) to look at the OBSD kernel source and see how it discovers drives...
rancor

Post by rancor »

OpenBSD 4.1 are affected by this bug as well.

Please innotek, fix this problem for us =)
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

That's fixed in SVN. We intend to release a new version soon, so if you don't want to compile yourself, just wait a bit more.
rancor

Post by rancor »

sandervl wrote:That's fixed in SVN. We intend to release a new version soon, so if you don't want to compile yourself, just wait a bit more.
Great! But I have to wait because I'm suffering of the Microsoft syndrome - We can't compile by our self.

Thanks for this nice software. I can soon threw away Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 =)