First DOS versions (1.0 - 3.31)

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: First DOS versions (1.0 - 3.31)

Post by socratis »

You could provide:
1) the floppy(ies) and
2) your settings, the .vbox file, by right-clicking on the VM and selecting "Show in ..."
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just zip up the VM folder - it's DOS, it shouldn't be that big. Put the zip on a cloud site and pm Michal with the link.
taptelecom

Post by taptelecom »

mpack wrote:Just zip up the VM folder - it's DOS, it shouldn't be that big. Put the zip on a cloud site and pm Michal with the link.
I can't send a link to a private message yet. I am a new member. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0pkfkixi1bf5 ... -Gl-a?dl=0
Is there a problem if I leave the link here?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There are good news and bad news...

Assuming that the boot floppy is copyrighted, the good news is that you can leave the link here because it doesn't point to any copyrighted material (like the boot floppy).

The bad news is that it doesn't contain the material (like the boot floppy), so we can't reproduce your problem. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
taptelecom

Post by taptelecom »

socratis wrote:There are good news and bad news...

Assuming that the boot floppy is copyrighted, the good news is that you can leave the link here because it doesn't point to any copyrighted material (like the boot floppy).

The bad news is that it doesn't contain the material (like the boot floppy), so we can't reproduce your problem. ;)
Excuse me for this. The Floppy is already there. The same problem reported with this disk image also happens with the original floppy mapping in the host unit. There are two other images of different versions of Concurrent DOS that have different problems , but did not finalize the installation. One does not boot and the other comes to install but does not boot the system . I'll leave the other two two versions with the names " CDOS_version2.rar " and "CDOS_version3.rar " for testing, ok? Thank you for your attention and interest in helping me.
taptelecom

Post by taptelecom »

michaln wrote:If you can provide a test VM, we can have a look.
Dear, michaln. I post files at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0pkfkixi1bf5 ... -Gl-a?dl=0.
Could you help me with this? Thanks for attention.
taptelecom

Post by taptelecom »

I did something wrong? Could someone help me?
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I'll try to take a look sometime this week. Thank you for your patience and for the files!
taptelecom

Post by taptelecom »

michaln wrote:I'll try to take a look sometime this week. Thank you for your patience and for the files!
Hi Michal. Any news about this? Thanks for attention.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I tried it as well. Nothing worked. One question: why don't you try FreeDOS which runs flawlessly?
taptelecom

Post by taptelecom »

socratis wrote:I tried it as well. Nothing worked. One question: why don't you try FreeDOS which runs flawlessly?
Thanks a lot, Socratis. Because I need to run a software that only works into CDOS... its a legacy version of a PBX manager. Thanks
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

search concurrent dos 386 virtual yields some intriguing articles
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Finally had a chance to look. Sorry it took so long.

The images in CDOS_version3.rar are trash. The disks contain Concurrent DOS files with a MS-DOS boot sector. Useless, not bootable.

The images in CDOS_version2.rar look better. However, the setup program does not partition the disk and FDISK must be run manually. And it must not be MS-DOS FDISK either. My initial attempt to create a 300MB partition failed miserably and produced non-bootable/corrupted disk. Second attempt creating a 30MB partition (60 cylinders) worked better but the result failed to boot.

After reviewing the documentation at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/digitalResearch/concurrent/ I realized that the installer assumes drive C: (well, the install target drive) is already formatted and has DOS installed. After doing a quick FDISK + FORMAT /S with MS-DOS 3.30 (32MB partition), I was able to install Concurrent DOS 386 version 2.0 in a VM. It can boot from hard disk and asks whether to boot CDOS or MS-DOS.

I didn't test stuff beyond that. I have zero experience with Concurrent DOS.