OpenBSD 4.2

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
nabamer

OpenBSD 4.2

Post by nabamer »

I'm constantly getting seg faults when installing OpenBSD on a virtualmachine inside Windows XP.
With the new version 4.2 this even prevents the Bootloader form getting installed so I can run OpenBSD from a CD but not from a virtual disk.

Anybody got lucky with this or are you experiencing the same problems?

I tried both, dynamic and fixed partitions.
funky

Post by funky »

it works great here, OpenBSD 4.2 guest under Gentoo Linux host, but the problem is trying to configure Xorg, I always get Signal 11. I can't make it work.
nabamer

Post by nabamer »

got it working. needs more than 128MB virtual RAM.
With 256 MB RAM I could get it installed.
Important! Even when you don't need X windows, install the packages since expat is there.
Same problem with X. Signal 11. No idea.
funky

Post by funky »

yep, I knew that about expat, it will be fixed in the next release (will come back to base, it currently does in -current)
paolino

Post by paolino »

Hi. I have been able to finish OpenBSD 4.2 installation on Ubuntu Feisty as host os, even if I got a "Making all device nodes...Segmentation fault(core dumped). done." just before the installation completed. Btw, it boots and runs fine, at least from what I can see (it's my first bsd experience).
Today or the next week I will have XP in office, and I'll do some test.

Anyway, I read somewhere on virtualbox site that (iirc the version number) only OpenBSD 3.7 and 3.8 works.
AstroTux

Post by AstroTux »

Hi,

From what I've been reading on this issue, it appears that this will be fixed in VirtualBox 1.5.4. I've tried running OpenBSD 4.1 and I'm getting this error (fixed partition) and I also get Signal 11 when trying to start X.

I'm just downloading OpenBSD 4.2 and will try that shortly. I'm looking to see why X won't run (I get an error stating that it is missing a library). Is anyone else getting this?

Code: Select all

(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting
Any way to speed up the virtual hard disk? :P Reports as 3400 RPM (the real-deal is 2x 7200RPM SATAII in RAID-0!). It seems like 3400, too.

Best regards,
AstroTux.
centyx

Post by centyx »

I too am experiencing the signal 11 issue when trying to run X.