PC-BSD

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.

PC-BSD

Postby elephanthunter » 25. Nov 2009, 09:08

Although unfortunately I was NOT able to install guest additions, I just thought I should mention that, contrary to the Guest OSs page, PC-BSD does indeed work under Virtual Box... KDE and all. The only caveat being that I needed to increase RAM and HD sizes to the minimum hardware requirements as posted on the PC-BSD Guide, or the install DVD would endlessly reboot.
elephanthunter

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PC-BSD, Ubuntu

Re: PC-BSD

Postby loukingjr » 15. Dec 2009, 23:06

elephanthunter wrote:Although unfortunately I was NOT able to install guest additions, I just thought I should mention that, contrary to the Guest OSs page, PC-BSD does indeed work under Virtual Box... KDE and all. The only caveat being that I needed to increase RAM and HD sizes to the minimum hardware requirements as posted on the PC-BSD Guide, or the install DVD would endlessly reboot.

did you figure out how to increase the screen resolution by any chance?
there are three kinds of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB... Mac OSX 10.8.4 & 10.9.2
loukingjr
Volunteer

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Postby SSCBrian » 19. Feb 2010, 20:25

Just tried PC-BSD 8.0 RC2 off of full DVD ISO. VM hangs on a time of day warning. Looks like something that it should fall through, but never does. RAM bumped up to 512MB and 20GB partition, but otherwise a stock VM. VBox 3.1.4 on Vista x64.
SSCBrian
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Postby humdinger70 » 11. Mar 2010, 08:20

SSCBrian wrote:Just tried PC-BSD 8.0 RC2 off of full DVD ISO. VM hangs on a time of day warning. Looks like something that it should fall through, but never does. RAM bumped up to 512MB and 20GB partition, but otherwise a stock VM. VBox 3.1.4 on Vista x64.

You might want to increase VB system RAM to at least 1 Gig, Depends of course on whether or not your host system can spare that much RAM when running Vista 64-bit mode.
humdinger70

Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS-2010-beta2

Postby humdinger70 » 11. Mar 2010, 08:22

The Guest Additions won't work because the script itself (autorun.sh) is looking for Linux of Sun Solaris as part of the uname parameter. PC-BSD doesn't all into that category.
humdinger70

Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS-2010-beta2

Postby bluegroper » 27. Apr 2010, 14:43

loukingjr wrote:did you figure out how to increase the screen resolution by any chance?

Is this blog any help ?
http://davekoelmeyer.wordpress.com/2010 ... box-3-1-4/
BG
bluegroper

Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windozes, Linuxes, BSD's

Postby Technologov » 1. May 2010, 01:09

They do exist for FreeBSD (and, by extension, for PC-BSD), but are not part of standard build of VirtualBox.

FreeBSD community have them somewhere on their servers. Maybe it is worth asking them... ?
Technologov
Site Moderator

Postby jeansen » 13. May 2010, 20:49

Folks,

just to make it easy for you :-) If you have pc-bsd installed inv virtualbox (in my case it's pc-bsd 8.0), and you get the first-time kd4 screen where you can select the driver, resolution and depth, there is another tab "advanced settings". This gives you the option to specify h- and vsync properties. For virtualbox, just tick the checkbox, go back to the other tab, choose your resolution, test it and you are done :-) This will spare you the trouble of a manual configuration file.

Marcel
jeansen

Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: PC-BSD 8.0

Return to Other Guests