Has anyone tried SCO Openserver~

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
beard5849

Post by beard5849 »

HI,

I tried OpenServer 5.0.6 from the CDrom, almost perfect.

I used the ISO image of the cdrom and a 10Gb disk partition.

CD booted, entered the serial number, allowed whole disk for install.

Instalation went fine until, about 5% when there was a "data error" on the
cdrom. I allowed it to retry, then at about 8% the install process died.

It did it's cleanup and rebooted.

I removed the CDrom and allowed the disk to boot, but:

Error: /boot not found.

I expected this, as the install did not complete, with only 8% of the files
installed.

I run Virtual Box 2.0.2 on Solaris snv_99 on AMD64 4200, 8Gb ram.

Yes, my "box" is called "cent45" it's only a test, here is the log:
Log created: 2008-10-30T10:38:03.187307000Z
Executable: /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox
Arg[0]: /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox
Arg[1]: -comment
Arg[2]: cent45
Arg[3]: -startvm
Arg[4]: 6fa55e01-3dbc-41b3-807d-4af48e61a57f
fatal error in recompiler cpu: Trying to execute code with memory type addr_code=000000000
00a0060 addend=0000000000000000 at 00000000000a0000. (iHandlerMemType=0x70 iMMIOMemType=0x
60)

!!Assertion Failed!!
Expression: <NULL>
Location : /export/home/vbox/tinderbox/sol64-rel/src/recompiler/VBoxRecompiler.c(4260) cp
u_abort
fatal error in recompiler cpu: Trying to execute code with memory type addr_code=000000000
00a0060 addend=0000000000000000 at 00000000000a0000. (iHandlerMemType=0x70 iMMIOMemType=0x
60)
beard5849

I upgraded to VBox 2.0.4 and it is worse

Post by beard5849 »

Hi,

Upgraded VBox to 2.0.4 and now, OpenServer 5.0.6 boots
but, having specified the load media (CD, IDE primary slave)
it all hangs. VBox console disapears after 2 mins.

I looked and found the OpenServer 6 CD.
copied to my ISO directory. This boots the SCO flash screen, but,
no more. VBox console dies.

System: OpenSolaris snv_99, AMD64 4600, 8Gb ram, 2x 300G SATA disks

Is there any possibility, we can have a SCSI disk/cdrom option?

AND, can the CDROM be changed onto the Secondary IDE controller?
Simak

Re: I upgraded to VBox 2.0.4 and it is worse

Post by Simak »

Hi!
Because this thread made me curious I just copied over my SCO 5.0.4 installation from VMWare Server 1.07 and tried it under Virtualbox 2.0.4 for OS X.
OK, the VDMK boots up to the login prompt but throws a lot of core dumps during boot. Nevertheless You will be able to login and examine Your system.

The initial installation using VMWare was done applying some tricks asking aunt google with the keywords "sco 5 install vmware server floppy". Basically I had to use the boot floppy for 5.0.7 which can be found at SCOs web server for the setup.

As always in our business: Your millage will vary! Good luck!
Helmut Carl Simak
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

BiggRanger wrote:I've been trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0.5. I've been booting from a bootable CD image. When I get into the part of the install where it is preparing the disk it fails with the following error:

"/ramFS/configdisk.configdisk terminated by signal B"
I saw this during today's attempts but only if if IO APIC is disabled.

Ian
igoddard

Post by igoddard »

Simak wrote:Hi!
Because this thread made me curious I just copied over my SCO 5.0.4 installation from VMWare Server 1.07 and tried it under Virtualbox 2.0.4 for OS X.
OK, the VDMK boots up to the login prompt but throws a lot of core dumps during boot. Nevertheless You will be able to login and examine Your system.

The initial installation using VMWare was done applying some tricks asking aunt google with the keywords "sco 5 install vmware server floppy". Basically I had to use the boot floppy for 5.0.7 which can be found at SCOs web server for the setup.

As always in our business: Your millage will vary! Good luck!
Following this example I tried using the 5.0.7 floppy with 5.0.4 CD but on VB (2.0.4) as I don't have VMW. This got past the early floppy problems and allowed installation to start. I inevitably get memory faults, mostly during the setting permissions phase. The next phase then usually failed due to permission issues - not surprising in the circumstances. I did get as far as the actual installation on one occasion but the customisation threw a lot of not-executable permission errors and eventually gave up. I also found that attempting to rerun would then throw errors in setting up the root filesystem unless I dropped and rebuilt the virtual disk image.

Host is Ubuntu 8.04 on a Core2Duo laptop.

My conclusion at the moment is that either the 5.0.4 binaries aren't getting on well with the 5.0.7 kernel, which seems unlikely as you succeeded on VMW, or there are memory management issues. This seems likely as changing the memory size seems to change the processes affected but even on a given setting results aren't wholly repeatable.

Ian
Simak

Post by Simak »

igoddard wrote: My conclusion at the moment is that either the 5.0.4 binaries aren't getting on well with the 5.0.7 kernel, which seems unlikely as you succeeded on VMW, or there are memory management issues. This seems likely as changing the memory size seems to change the processes affected but even on a given setting results aren't wholly repeatable.
Ian
Memory management in Virtualbox seems indeed to be the issue. The VMWare installation had been working stable at least for my needs since the last 10 month. No obvious problems noticed so far.
Helmut Carl Simak
BiggRanger
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenServer 5.0.7

Post by BiggRanger »

Finally got OpenServer 5.0.7 loaded and running with VirtualBox 2.1.0.
I had to disable "System Graphics" for the install, every time it got to the "video configuration manager" and "configuring the component parameters" VB would Guru. Even after adding the maintenance pack 5 for 5.0.7 and then trying to install the "video configuration manager" it would Guru.

F.Y.I
1) The Intel Pro/1000 card driver is on the maintenance pack 5 CD.
2) I did not need the updated WD boot driver floppy, the driver on the install CD of 5.0.7 works fine with the install with VB 2.1.0

I would still like to get X running, but my application is text based and runs through a serial port, so I'm happy for now!

I do have something odd though. I keep getting this message:
WARNING: BACKWARDS clock motion 0.000014522sec
Keith_Beef

Post by Keith_Beef »

BiggRanger wrote:I've been trying to install SCO OpenServer 5.0.5. I've been booting from a bootable CD image.

Code: Select all

00:00:04.021 Guest Log: BIOS: int13_cdemu function AH=FA unsupported, returns fail
I run into a similar problem...

I have VirtualBox installed under Ubuntu 8.10 and I wanted to do some screenshots of Symantec Ghost installing an image of Windows XP...

I got this:

Code: Select all

00:00:06.128 Display::handleDisplayResize(): uScreenId = 0, pvVRAM=0000000000000000 w=720 h=400 bpp=0 cbLine=0x0
00:00:06.128 Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from CD-ROM...
00:00:06.131 Guest Log: BIOS: int13_cdemu function AH=42 unsupported, returns fail
[repeated thirty or forty times]
00:00:06.182 Guest Log: BIOS: int13_cdemu function AH=48 unsupported, returns fail
00:00:13.849 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDED'.
00:00:15.699 Console::powerDown(): A request to power off the VM has been issued (mMachineState=8, InUninit=0)
00:00:15.708 vboxClipboardDestroy: shutting down host clipboard
00:00:15.709 Shared clipboard: host clipboard thread terminated successfully
00:00:15.842 ****************** Guest state at power off ******************
The same "Guest Log: BIOS: int13_cdemu function" but the following differs slightly "AH=FA" as compared to "AH=42"...

What does this mean, and how can we fix it?

Beef.
oregonbob

SCO Unix on Virtual Box

Post by oregonbob »

I have had SCO 5.0.6 running on VMWare perfectly for over a year. This week I tried virtualbox just using a virtual disk from VMWare. It boots up OK, but the keyboard locks up after multiuser boot.

On VMware, using free server 1.0.6 and 2.0 I had no problems. I will keep trying Virtualbox.
cyruspy

Re:

Post by cyruspy »

BiggRanger wrote:Finally got OpenServer 5.0.7 loaded and running with VirtualBox 2.1.0.
I had to disable "System Graphics" for the install, every time it got to the "video configuration manager" and "configuring the component parameters" VB would Guru. Even after adding the maintenance pack 5 for 5.0.7 and then trying to install the "video configuration manager" it would Guru.

F.Y.I
1) The Intel Pro/1000 card driver is on the maintenance pack 5 CD.
2) I did not need the updated WD boot driver floppy, the driver on the install CD of 5.0.7 works fine with the install with VB 2.1.0

I would still like to get X running, but my application is text based and runs through a serial port, so I'm happy for now!

I do have something odd though. I keep getting this message:
WARNING: BACKWARDS clock motion 0.000014522sec
I have 5.0.7 + MP5 running on VBox 3.0.2. If you enable 3D acceleration the GUI works without going in Guru Meditation, but after installing MP5 it's broken again. None of the SCSI drivers (LSILogic or BusLogic) worked, I stayed with stock IDE driver (WD).

If you try to reboot or poweroff, you'll get Guru Meditation too. To fix poweroff you must edit /etc/conf/pack.d/uapm/space.c and relink the kernel:

ulong_t uapm_offstates[] = {
APMPWR_OFF, /* 0 AD_HALT No auto reboot */
APMPWR_READY, /* 1 AD_BOOT Auto reboot */
APMPWR_READY, /* 2 AD_IBOOT (same as AD_BOOT) */
APMPWR_OFF, /* 3 AD_PWRDOWN Turn off power */
APMPWR_STANDBY, /* 4 AD_PWRNAP Turn off if no A/C */
APMPWR_SUSPEND, /* (anything else) (essentially AD_HALT) */
};

Reboot still gives Guru Meditation though.
BiggRanger

OpenServer mouse drivers... VB3.0.10

Post by BiggRanger »

Well I set up X and got it working with a VGA-VESA graphics driver, and after rebooting OpenServer I was presented with the X login screen! Great!

But as soon as I moved the mouse, it shot all the way to the right of the screen, and that's where it stayed. Restarting X didn't fix it, so I think it messed up the driver in OpenServer. I've tried all 3 PS/2 mouse driver options in OpenServer, and even upgraded to MP5 and the behavior is the same.

I had the great idea of using the serial mouse driver and passing TTY1 to COM1 on my PC to a serial mouse. But as fate would have it I cleaned out my basement last week, and threw out a bunch of old computer hardware which consisted of a couple of very old serial mice...

Anybody else have any success or failures...

OpenServer 5.0.7 without MP5 and with MP5
VirtualBox 3.0.10
OpenServer Mouse Drivers tested: PS/2 Microsoft, PS/2 low res, PS/2 high res

Darren Clark
BiggRanger

Re: Has anyone tried SCO Openserver~

Post by BiggRanger »

OpenServer PS/2 mouse drivers.

Well I've tried everything I can with the PS/2 keyboard mouse drivers and OpenServer 5.0.7 still does not like the emulated PS/2 mouse from VirtualBox 3.0.10.

I have found an old serial mouse, and stuck it to com1 on my PC and mapped tty2a to com1 in VirtualBox, then configured OpenServer to use a serial mouse on /dev/tty2a and it works fine. But it's a old crappy mouse with a ball, and barely works itself.
cyruspy

Post by cyruspy »

Just wondering, do you see high CPU load?, on the host the VirtualBox process uses a whole CPU even if the guest doens't have real work to do... The CPU usage goes mostly in sys (kernel space) on linux host.
BiggRanger

Post by BiggRanger »

No, but I'm running on a Windows XP host. When there is nothing going on with OpenServer, the CPU utilization is around 0%. And when it's busy it'll go to 50% (1 core of a dual core). Nothing unusual on my side.

Host: XP SP3
VirtualBox: 3.1.2
OpenServer: 5.0.7 MR5
Attachments
Quindos.xml
My VirtualBox settings
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Screen Shot
Screen Shot
VB-OpenServer.png (120.39 KiB) Viewed 21938 times
wexx
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Fedora Windows SCO

Post by wexx »

Greetings everyone! I'm a first time poster here on the virtualbox community. Sadly this is about the only information I found remotely useful on the web regarding settting up a SCO guest. I've tried several configurations and bootstring parameters but still can't seem to work my way around an error. Perhaps one of you might hold the key. Currently I'm trying this on a Ubuntu 10.10 host, but I have also tried this on windows 7 and windows XP. On the XP and Ubuntu systems, I always get the error "/ramFS/configdisk/configdisk terminated by signal B" at the part of the install where the bad tracking and formatting of the filesystem is taking place. On windows 7 host the installation of sco has no problems.

I've tried using SCSI disks and using a 5.0.7 boot disk and blc (buslogic) drivers floppy disks to allow sco to find the hard drives. I've tried IDE hard drives (which are automatically detected and require no floppy disks to install). I still have no luck.

Currently I'm running virtualbox3.2.12 on a Ubuntu10.10 Host.
The guest that I'm trying to install is SCO Openserver 5.0.5.

I have tried also importing the virtual machine that was created on the windows 7 pc, and attempted to use it that way, however, I'm constantly getting memory faults, and the kernel can't be relinked properly.

Suggestions? Bootstrings to try? I'm all ears?

Thanks