Has anyone tried SCO Openserver~

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
BiggRanger
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenServer 5.0.7

Re: Has anyone tried SCO Openserver~

Post by BiggRanger »

Hello,
I've been running with OpenServer 5.0.7 in VirtualBox 3.2.12 with WindowsXP. You need to make sure the processor supports Virtualization, and it's enabled in the BIOS. I also have PAE, nested paging, and VX-T enabled in VirtualBox.

I just found out that my OpenServer 5.0.7 image will not boot in VirtualBox 4.0 it hangs on HD_Config.
wexx
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Fedora Windows SCO

Post by wexx »

BiggRanger wrote:Hello,
I've been running with OpenServer 5.0.7 in VirtualBox 3.2.12 with WindowsXP. You need to make sure the processor supports Virtualization, and it's enabled in the BIOS. I also have PAE, nested paging, and VX-T enabled in VirtualBox.

I just found out that my OpenServer 5.0.7 image will not boot in VirtualBox 4.0 it hangs on HD_Config.
Take a bow sir, you are the man.

Did you ever get your mouse situation working. I am using a USB Gyration mouse and keyboard for the host, and have unchecked the option for "Enable absolute pointing device" in the guest system settings in virtual box. I have a working mouse, but my keyboard doesn't work. Did you only have problems with the mouse or did you have problems with the keyboard as well?

Thanks again for pointing out that virtualization in the bios of the host needs to be turned on. That immediately fixed the issue.
bkw
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: SCO Open Server

Post by bkw »

Gotta love progress that isn't.
I can't get the osr5.0.7 installer to complete with vb 4.0.4 on Win7 x86_64. Random errors at random points during install. Usually the boot and initial iqm screens are ok, ususally dies when it finally goes to make the filesystems , never makes it past the first few percent of installing actual files.
I'll try 3.2.12...
I definitely have a cpu with VT-x and enabled in the bios. dual core i7 620M.

Does anyone have any experience what is the latest version of VB that still worked with OSR 5.0.7 ?

*edit* well no joy with 3.2.12 either. dies right during the initial iqm screens. I'll go over the posted configs that are supposed to work in more detail to see if the same exact config works for me or not.

*edit* bleh terminated by signal B terminated by signal B terminated by signal B...

*edit* http://www.davereyn.co.uk/download.htm (includes a bundled qemu 0.11.1) works fine. Slow but fine.
Settings for qemu that worked:
MachineType "Standard ACPI PCIBased PC"
CPU Model Pentium 3
Ram 1024
network card PCNet Lan Card on vlan 0
video standard vga card
usb no
bluetooth no
Drives:
Hard disk 0, create new, raw, 4Gb, path\to\file.raw
CD path\to\OpenServer-5.0.7Hw-10Jun05_1800.iso
Advanced:
Enable SDL Yes
KQEMU Disabled

Still yet to try the older versions of VB reported to work elsewhere, 3.0.8, 3.0.4.
http://cyruspy.wordpress.com/2009/10/08 ... irtualbox/

*edit* Tried vb 3.0.8 as per the article above. No joy. Maybe it's because the host is Windows 7 Professional x86_64 ?
The article says they were using Windows x86_64 but it was Windows XP not Vista or 7, and I read a lot of people having mystery problems on Visa/7 x86_64 hosts.
bkw
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: SCO Open Server

Post by bkw »

...Still no-go as of vb 4.1.2

Just found an old post where someone else said they were running osr 5.0.7 on vb 3.2.12 fine but failed on 4.0.

Considering that and other posts like where someone said they managed to get BeOS installed on some old version of vb and that it got worse and worse with each newer version until they gave up, it's just more evidence that the product isn't getting better over time, just better at Linux & Windows. It should be called Virtual Linux & Windows now not Virtual Box.

--
bkw
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

VirtualBox is good at emulating what 99.9% users run. If you're in the 0.01% minority, don't expect to get priority treatment.

If you file actionable bug reports, the problems will eventually get fixed. If you fix the bug yourself (and you can, since it's an open source product), you will even get fixes quickly, and constructive help will be appreciated. If you only bitch and moan, your problems will be ignored. Life isn't fair...

In other words... SCO isn't on the supported guest list, which means we're not spending any time testing it. Regressions can happen. If they go unreported, they remain there. If you have special needs, you need to take an active role, or go elsewhere. The choices are all yours.
TheSniper

Post by TheSniper »

All,
Ive been following this thread as well as some others.
Goals: get SCOUNIX 5.0.5 running on VB.

Attempts: I tried dozens of time to get it installed on a PC will failures mostly like the
ramfs/././... Terminated by signal b error

It never occurred to me to try it on one of my macs.
success on the first try as well as every one since.
So my current goal is to install a fresh SCOUNIX 5.0.5 install.
copy over all my clients data.
setup a backup to clone the VB daily.
then have plenty of beers.
Sam

Im still working on my install currently trying to overcome the I make a drive bigger than 8GB but Sco unix will only ever recognize 8GB
also getting the eth to accept a 1000 base driver.
Ill post my findings if needed.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

TheSniper wrote:Attempts: I tried dozens of time to get it installed on a PC...
It never occurred to me to try it on one of my macs.
success on the first try as well as every one since.
That makes no sense - there's no "Mac vs. PC" here, but it's quite possible that your Mac is sufficiently different (perhaps has a recent Intel CPU with modern VT-x implementation?) that it makes a difference for unsupported guests.
spemble

Post by spemble »

It's been 8 years since this thread was active but I still have the same issues trying to stand up a SCO VM. But I am running VBox v6.0 now, and as others have said before me, I need SCO because I'm supporting very old systems that are off-site. I have tried for days to install the Guest Additions on a SCO 5.0.5 VM without success. Without the Guest Additions I have no shared folder and so I can't install other software on the VM. If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be most grateful.

My host is running Windows 10.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A Guest OS which was ancient, obsolete and unsupported 8 years ago is hardly going to have become a priority in the time since.

"Not supported" - includes "no Guest Additions". If you want shared folders then you set up a network share as if you had a physical PC running SCO next to a modern PC running whatever your host OS choice is.

p.s. Bumping an old thread turned out to be useful - I spotted spam posts a few posts up.
jgt

Post by jgt »

I just installed Openserver 6.0.0 using VB 6.1 on a Linux Mint 19.3 host. The whole procedure seemed pretty straight forward.
The reason that I came here is to find a solution to two minor issues that arose.
The first is that on boot up of the guest, the date is taken from the hardware clock, which is set to UTC while the host OS is set to EST (-5.00)
The second, is that the guest cannot connect via tcp to the host unless a network cable is plugged in.
If it is permitted, I can post the VB configuration file.
And finally, I have about 35 years experience with SCO that I am quite willing to share.