OS/2 Warp 4 client install problem

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
pgunn01

OS/2 Warp 4 client install problem

Post by pgunn01 »

Hi all, I'm trying to install OS/2 Warp 4 from CD, and have run into some problems.

I'm booting from the 3-disk set that loads the CD drivers, and the install proceeds up to the point where it boots from the hard disk and runs the "System Configuration" program, where I hit two problems:

1) The display is really messed up - it's readable, but just barely.
2) I get a SYS3171. This is presumably in one of the background processes of the installer, because I can proceed a bit further after dismissing it, but eventually the installer stops (I'm guessing it's waiting for whatever crashed to do something).

Details on the crash:
SYS3171
A program caused exception c0000005 at 13a915bc.
Due to insufficient stack space, the exception was not dispatched. The process was terminated.
IBMDEV32.DLL 0001:000015bc
(followed by a stack dump that I'm not going to type in)

The host is a Linux (Fedora10) box with an Intel CPU (x86_64). Virtualbox settings:
512M RAM allocated to the box
12M Video RAM allocated
ACPI has been tried both enabled and disabled
IO APIC is enabled
VT-x is enabled
PAE is disabled
3D Acceleration is disabled
The HD volume is 2G in size
I have tried with and without sound enabled.
I initially was using VirtualBox 2.0, and just now tried again with 2.1

The OS/2 ISO is an image made from my actual CD I used ages ago (the floppy images are extracted from that ISO).
Any advice would be appreciated.
pgunn01

Additional

Post by pgunn01 »

A "popup" that appears behind the various copying file dialogues says "Error Creating Base Install Object". I also seem to get a *lot* more wait as it loads from the hard drive when the system has more RAM allocated to it - 512M = 10 minute wait, 1G = 30 minute wait.
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

exactly the same here with 2.1.0. Host is Lenny amd64 with latest NVIDIA-driver for gForce7100.

I was installing from a CD-image created with UpdCD built from Warp4, but with latest drivers and kernel. The scrambled display is the worst thing. The only way to get that solved was to install SNAP.

Nevertheless the installation remains incomplete due to above mentioned crashes.

Ingo
ppgrainbow
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 2000
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: None

Re: OS/2 Warp 4 client install problem

Post by ppgrainbow »

pgunn01 wrote:Hi all, I'm trying to install OS/2 Warp 4 from CD, and have run into some problems.

I'm booting from the 3-disk set that loads the CD drivers, and the install proceeds up to the point where it boots from the hard disk and runs the "System Configuration" program, where I hit two problems:

2) I get a SYS3171. This is presumably in one of the background processes of the installer, because I can proceed a bit further after dismissing it, but eventually the installer stops (I'm guessing it's waiting for whatever crashed to do something).

Details on the crash:
SYS3171
A program caused exception c0000005 at 13a915bc.
Due to insufficient stack space, the exception was not dispatched. The process was terminated.
IBMDEV32.DLL 0001:000015bc
(followed by a stack dump that I'm not going to type in)

The host is a Linux (Fedora10) box with an Intel CPU (x86_64). Virtualbox settings:
512M RAM allocated to the box
12M Video RAM allocated
ACPI has been tried both enabled and disabled
IO APIC is enabled
VT-x is enabled
PAE is disabled
3D Acceleration is disabled
The HD volume is 2G in size
I have tried with and without sound enabled.
I initially was using VirtualBox 2.0, and just now tried again with 2.1

The OS/2 ISO is an image made from my actual CD I used ages ago (the floppy images are extracted from that ISO).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Try to reinstall OS/2 Warp 4 by allocating at least 16 MB but no more than 64 MB of memory.

Once installation is successful and that you applied Fixpack 15, you can allocate more memory...but be warned! OS/2 Warp cannot allocate more than 512 MB of memory as it will cause the operating system to crash.

I also recommend that you use the updated installation diskettes from 2001 that will allow you to install on a hard disk image up to 7.84 GB.

If you have any further problems, please let me know. :)
TrevorPH

Post by TrevorPH »

ppgrainbow wrote:Once installation is successful and that you applied Fixpack 15, you can allocate more memory...but be warned! OS/2 Warp cannot allocate more than 512 MB of memory as it will cause the operating system to crash.
If you have the latest OS/2 code then this is not an issue. I have run OS/2 on a system with 6GB RAM and it only sees and uses ~3.xGB but it still works fine. There's a kernel fix to help with RAM > 512MB but I am not sure what level of OS/2 system you have to be running in order to use this.
ppgrainbow
Volunteer

Post by ppgrainbow »

TrevorPH wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:Once installation is successful and that you applied Fixpack 15, you can allocate more memory...but be warned! OS/2 Warp cannot allocate more than 512 MB of memory as it will cause the operating system to crash.
If you have the latest OS/2 code then this is not an issue. I have run OS/2 on a system with 6GB RAM and it only sees and uses ~3.xGB but it still works fine. There's a kernel fix to help with RAM > 512MB but I am not sure what level of OS/2 system you have to be running in order to use this.
If you want to utilitise more than 512 MB of memory under OS/2 Warp 4, you need to either have the Merlin Convenience Pack installed (if you have purchased it through Software Subscription before December 2005) or upgrade to eComStation.

Otherwise, you are limited to 512 MB and OS/2 Warp 4 will not properly recongise more than 64 MB without having to patch the OS2KRNL file. I was lucky to install OS/2 Warp 4 on Virtual PC with 64 MB of memory before upping the allocation limit to 256 MB.

Just like Windows 95 that doesn't properly support hard disks larger than 32 GB, OS/2 Warp 4 and Windows NT 3.x doesn't support nor recongise hard disks larger than 7.84 GB.
TrevorPH

Post by TrevorPH »

ppgrainbow wrote:
TrevorPH wrote:
If you want to utilitise more than 512 MB of memory under OS/2 Warp 4, you need to either have the Merlin Convenience Pack installed (if you have purchased it through Software Subscription before December 2005) or upgrade to eComStation.

Otherwise, you are limited to 512 MB and OS/2 Warp 4 will not properly recongise more than 64 MB without having to patch the OS2KRNL file. I was lucky to install OS/2 Warp 4 on Virtual PC with 64 MB of memory before upping the allocation limit to 256 MB.

Just like Windows 95 that doesn't properly support hard disks larger than 32 GB, OS/2 Warp 4 and Windows NT 3.x doesn't support nor recongise hard disks larger than 7.84 GB.
Better tell my OS/2 system about this 7.84GB limitation then. It boots from a 160GB SATA disk and has a 600GB RAID array attached to it.

Oh and it's running on a quad core 2.4GHz processor with 6GB RAM (though only ~3GB is usable by OS/2).

So much old information :(
ppgrainbow
Volunteer

Post by ppgrainbow »

TrevorPH wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:
TrevorPH wrote: If you have the latest OS/2 code then this is not an issue. I have run OS/2 on a system with 6GB RAM and it only sees and uses ~3.xGB but it still works fine. There's a kernel fix to help with RAM > 512MB but I am not sure what level of OS/2 system you have to be running in order to use this.

Better tell my OS/2 system about this 7.84GB limitation then. It boots from a 160GB SATA disk and has a 600GB RAID array attached to it.

Oh and it's running on a quad core 2.4GHz processor with 6GB RAM (though only ~3GB is usable by OS/2).

So much old information :(
I'm afraid that you can't if you're using the original OS/2 Warp 4 CD and IBM dropped support for OS/2 on 31 December 2006.

Up to 3 GB of memory is usable under OS/2 if you are using the Merlin Convenience Pack. I use the original OS/2 Warp 4 CD as well as Fixpack 15 and although up to 512 MB of memory is usable under Virtual PC, only 16 MB to 64 MB of is recognisable.

Are you using the Merlin Convenience Pack CD to install OS/2 Warp 4? If so, you might be in the clear. :D
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

pgunn01 wrote:Hi all, I'm trying to install OS/2 Warp 4 from CD, and have run into some problems.

With regard to the messed up display:

please check whether it is like I described it in this thread:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 7842#57842
Somebody from the VBox team seems to follow up the display issue there, so if yes, please append your observation.

Best regards,
Ingo
SineNomine565

Post by SineNomine565 »

I made the mistake of allocating too much video memory (128MB), leading to repeated C0000005 errors on startup. Backing down to 32MB allowed it to complete installation and startup.