OpenBSD 7.2 stuck at syncing disks in installer

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
droidus2

OpenBSD 7.2 stuck at syncing disks in installer

Post by droidus2 »

I am running 7.0 of vbox on a win10 host. I am going through the installer of OpenBSD 7.2. It is currently stuck at "syncing disks...". I've tried several different times now, and it seems to get hung up at the same place.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (23.52 KiB) Viewed 10424 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: OpenBSD 7.2 stuck at syncing disks in installer

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 is very new. Does the same thing happen under 6.1.40?

Otherwise, Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

I'm using 7.0.2 and just today upgraded an OpenBSD from 7.1 to 7.2 using the installer. I couldn't get it to install until I changed the number of processors in the Settings to 2. I don't know why this worked but it's worth a try?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

peterhull90 wrote:I changed the number of processors in the Settings to 2
Interesting, Peter!

Changing processors to 2 then the VM works is a circumstance indicating that Hyper-V might have been enabled on the Windows host OS.
peterhull90

Post by peterhull90 »

Hyper-V might have been enabled on the Windows host OS.
Right - I know that in my case, I have enabled Hyper-V, and my problems were not the same as droidus2 (the installer would just reboot too quickly for me to read the error, if any) but I thought it was worth a shot!
If not, at least we can say that the OpenBSD 7.2 installer can be run successfully on Windows 11 / VB 7