MS-DOS game: Garbled symbols displayed instead of text.

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: MS-DOS game: Garbled symbols displayed instead of text.

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, according to RBIL, function 1130h was not supported by IBM PS/2 (in contrast to functions 1120h,1122h and 1123h), and it had the following bug:

Code: Select all

BUG:    the IBM EGA and some other EGA cards return in DL the number of rows on
          screen rather than the highest row number (which is one less).
Peter Wajorski

Post by Peter Wajorski »

michaln wrote:The fonts are garbled because the VirtualBox VGA BIOS doesn't implement INT 10H/1122H, INT 10H/1123H, and INT 10H/1120H. The chess game uses those calls rather than the much more obvious INT 10H/1130H that mpack pointed out.

I can only speculate that the game engine was originally written to run on the EGA which had no INT 10H/1130H. But the program uses 8x16 fonts that don't exist on the EGA, and runs in VGA mode 12h, so I don't think it'll work anyway. At first I thought the game might be using the BIOS to draw the text, but of course it's not. It calls INT 10H/112xH and saves off the INT 43H vector in order to access each of the three different fonts.

I'll see if I can fix that.

Edit: Actually the EGA supported INT 10H/1130H already. What the game does makes no real sense, although it should still work.
Brilliant findings! Yesterday I executed GM Chess in the Open Watcom debugger, only to realize I had no idea how to go about debugging such a complex app. This info. actually saved me hours with unfamiliar tools, trying to track down each instance of CD10 in the binary. I'm looking forward to reading your conclusions, when they become ready.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

The changes will be visible here whenever the public code is synchronized.

A debugger is not generally a bad tool, although debugging a graphical application on a single machine can get very problematic very quickly; remote debugging of some sort may work better. That said, in this case an interrupt tracing utility would do the job too, and it's probably less intrusive than a debugger. I think the book Undocumented DOS came with some such thing.

FWIW, I used the VirtualBox VM debugger which is very "remote" in that there is nothing visible from the guest side at all (it's more like an ICE really). It's not super easy to use but in this case, putting a breakpoint on the INT 10H entry point showed very quickly what the game was doing. The fact that the relevant BIOS functions weren't implemented says a lot about how often they're used.
Jim Comfort

Post by Jim Comfort »

Not sure this is any help, but I've still got a machine offline running Vista 32 bit, and it's the only machine I currently have that runs DOS games. One of the games, Blindwar, has the same issue running on Vista. When I first encountered the issue, I read where it was a font issue. One of the suggested fixes was to put it on a FAT 32 partition, then run it from there. I haven't tried that solution as yet, though.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Jim Comfort wrote:One of the suggested fixes was to put it on a FAT 32 partition, then run it from there.
Suggested by whom? That sounds asinine to me. How is the location where the OS loaded the executable from supposed to affect the operation of the graphics BIOS?
Peter Wajorski

Post by Peter Wajorski »

My apologies for this belated reply, as I was having login issues (somehow credentials got mixed-up).

I've looked at the code-base and the changes have been visible since before the release of VirtualBox 6.1.34. I then downloaded 6.1.36 and ran the program again. Alas, it seems those changes to the source code haven't been incorporated into the release builds yet (the same garbled fonts still appear). Is there something I'm missing?
michaln wrote:The changes will be visible here whenever the public code is synchronized.

A debugger is not generally a bad tool, although debugging a graphical application on a single machine can get very problematic very quickly; remote debugging of some sort may work better. That said, in this case an interrupt tracing utility would do the job too, and it's probably less intrusive than a debugger. I think the book Undocumented DOS came with some such thing.

FWIW, I used the VirtualBox VM debugger which is very "remote" in that there is nothing visible from the guest side at all (it's more like an ICE really). It's not super easy to use but in this case, putting a breakpoint on the INT 10H entry point showed very quickly what the game was doing. The fact that the relevant BIOS functions weren't implemented says a lot about how often they're used.