Has anyone gotten the vbox guest additions installed on a freebsd6.2 guest?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
caokhanhan

Has anyone gotten the vbox guest additions installed on a freebsd6.2 guest?

Post by caokhanhan »

Has anyone gotten the vbox guest additions sinstalled on a freebsd6.2 guest? My Freebsd guest works great (once I solved the problem if the constant sigreturn errors when building ports*), but I have not been able to install the extensions yet. BTW, using WIndows XP Pro as host OS.

* - Problem solved by updating /boot/loader.conf by adding the line kern.hz="100" into the file. Saves me from having to build a custom kernel.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Has anyone gotten the vbox guest additions installed on a freebsd6.2 guest?

Post by mpack »

Do you have any reason to believe that VirtualBox Guest Additions should install? BSD is not listed as a supported guest OS. And although they have a similar user experience, BSD is not based on the Linux kernel AFAIK, so I would not expect compatibility. Of the supported guest OSs I would guess that Solaris is the closest in architecture terms, but I believe Solaris is based on System V, not on the BSD kernel, so again I would not expect compatibility.

A full-featured version of the VBox GAs that installed on BSD would require a great deal of porting work, but I guess it's possible that someone has done that work. You should Google for that. Nothing is available officially.
caokhanhan

Re: Has anyone gotten the vbox guest additions installed on a freebsd6.2 guest?

Post by caokhanhan »

Thank you so much :P