VMware ESXi 6.7 Problem

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
TronID

VMware ESXi 6.7 Problem

Post by TronID »

Hello,
I was trying to install vmware esxi on virtualbox, but I got an error message that I don't understand. Can anyone help me?
I have attached a screenshot.

Virtualbox 6.1.20

Thank you...
Attachments
VirtualBox_VMware vSphere Hypervisor_23_04_2021_13_09_28.png
VirtualBox_VMware vSphere Hypervisor_23_04_2021_13_09_28.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 18195 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VMware ESXi 6.7 Problem

Post by mpack »

Installing ESXi will be pointless. First it will require VT-x/AMD-v, and nested VM is only (somewhat) supported if VirtualBox is both nested and nester. And that only on some CPUs: which we can't talk about since you didn't provide a VM log.
TronID

Post by TronID »

mpack wrote:Installing ESXi will be pointless. First it will require VT-x/AMD-v, and nested VM is only (somewhat) supported if VirtualBox is both nested and nester. And that only on some CPUs: which we can't talk about since you didn't provide a VM log.
Sorry, I forgot. I attach the following. Thanks

https://filetransfer.io/data-package/Srl7q9QM#link
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The VM seems to be correctly set up, so at least there is that. Except perhaps graphics RAM seems a little low, general RAM for the guest likewise (it has to have enough RAM to run another presumably 64bit VM inside itself).

Another thing I noticed is the name of the ISO: "VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update03-14320388.x86_64.iso". I noticed that it says "update03". Is this a stand alone installer or just an update?

Perhaps you'll need to ask VMWare what their error messages mean.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

ESXi is not supported to run in a virtual machine, except some specific VMware vSphere or VMware Worksation configurations.
It will not work in Virtualbox.
In some cases it was possible to start earlier versions of ESSXi, but never to start VMs inside it.
TronID

Post by TronID »

mpack wrote:The VM seems to be correctly set up, so at least there is that. Except perhaps graphics RAM seems a little low, general RAM for the guest likewise (it has to have enough RAM to run another presumably 64bit VM inside itself).

Another thing I noticed is the name of the ISO: "VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update03-14320388.x86_64.iso". I noticed that it says "update03". Is this a stand alone installer or just an update?

Perhaps you'll need to ask VMWare what their error messages mean.
It is Stand alone installer.

Okay. Thank you.
TronID

Post by TronID »

Martin wrote:ESXi is not supported to run in a virtual machine, except some specific VMware vSphere or VMware Worksation configurations.
It will not work in Virtualbox.
In some cases it was possible to start earlier versions of ESSXi, but never to start VMs inside it.
Thank you....