Sharing folders with MS-DOS 6.22

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Saku20114

Sharing folders with MS-DOS 6.22

Post by Saku20114 »

So, I want to use MS-DOS to run some programs, meaning I have to find a way to get files from my host onto the guest. The only way I know how to do it is with shared folders. So I try to install guest additions, which obviously won't work since MS-DOS isn't compatible with it, meaning I can not use shared folders. I found multiple tutorials online, all of them saying I need to install something into DOS. I can not get files into DOS in the first place and none of them have it in a format that I can add it through the disks (i.e. .img, .iso).
it would be nice to have a bit more help on getting it to work.
Saku20114

Re: Sharing folders with MS-DOS 6.22

Post by Saku20114 »

More info:
currently the only way to actually interact with the guest is by using the floppy disk drive so i can run on the floppy disk. Typing A: doesn't work, using an optical drive doesn't work, so I can not bring any files onto the dos guest. As I've said before, internet on the guests do not like to work. I've tried it with a windows 7, vista, and 8 guest and it doesn't seem to connect at all. None of the files mentioned in any of the many articles or threads have been in any of the disk formats, so there is no way they can be added or run on dos. Sure, I can set everything up on the host, but then it's pointless when trying to connect to dos.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Sharing folders with MS-DOS 6.22

Post by mpack »

Put the files in an ISO, using your favorite ISO maker. You do need to ensure that the DOS guest has the CD driver running (Google the details).

The most recent versions of DOS are about 30 years old at this point, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting it to understand the needs of a modern secured network. One possible solution is to install FreeDOS (a modern DOS build that claims to be backwards compatible). Another solution is to forget VMs and try DOSBOX instead.