Microtik - Pfsense and Virtualbox (samba share folder connection)

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
doguibnu
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: xubunutu

Microtik - Pfsense and Virtualbox (samba share folder connection)

Post by doguibnu »

Hello!
How are you?

Sorry, I do not know if the right place to do this post! But, lets go!
My scenario:
Our Internet provider (public IP) give us Internet by Microtik that go to our PFsense NO DHCP Mode (first NIC - Wan and second NIC our Lan) from Lan to switchs, so from switch our clients and servers, Right?
We have a Ubuntu Linux server with Virtualbox and inside Linux and windows - Yes, Linux with virtualbox guest additions iso installed and insert user to vboxsf group
So, Inside Virtualbox Linux I have a samba share folder configured and works fine. At this scenario all windows machines and windows versions can access this Linux virtualbox share folder by: //server/share_folder without problems BUT for Linux Machines can not by: smb://server/name_share_folder only smb://IP_server/share_folder

I am with this problems many times so, I did the same scenario in my house. Only difference is that in my house the internet came by Fiber to ZHONE modem, and from modem to my Dlink router wireless 809 without Microtik. At my house I have Xubuntu 20.04, so install virtualbox, virtualbox guest additions iso too and insert user at vboxfs group and install windows 10 on virtualbox. I did install in virtualbox OpenMediaVault a NAS Debian base and did other share folder inside it. More one other Linux inside virtualbox to act as client. So, at my house ALL OS inside or out virtualbox can access by windows mode: //server/share_folder and Linux mode: smb://server/share_name normally.

I am talking Pfsense forum, samba list mail many times. I am still the same problem
Somebody Can help me please?

Thank you

Douglas
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Microtik - Pfsense and Virtualbox (samba share folder connection)

Post by scottgus1 »

For each setup, home and work, do the following:

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show in Explorer. Zip the guest's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Run 'ip address' in the host PC and the VM. Post both command outputs as text here on the forum.

Ping 8.8.8.8 in the host PC and the VM. Post both command outputs as text here on the forum.

Please label each posting so we know where it comes from, home or work, host or VM.

By the way, I googled Microtik, but I don't know if I am getting what you have. What do you mean by Microtik?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:By the way, I googled Microtik, but I don't know if I am getting what you have. What do you mean by Microtik?
The OP is probably talking about MikroTik. But I only know the name (for about 20 years now). ;)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That's what I was finding too, the router & wi-fi company https://mikrotik.com/. The way doguibnu mentions it:
doguibnu wrote:Our Internet provider (public IP) give us Internet by Microtik that go to our PFsense
vs
doguibnu wrote:my house the internet came by Fiber to ZHONE modem...without Microtik
sounded like they're talking about a special internet medium. I guess they have a Mikrotik device in their work Internet connection...
doguibnu

Post by doguibnu »

Hello!
How are you?

Tomorrow I will do these steps and post to show you, ok?
Thanks
scottgus1 wrote:For each setup, home and work, do the following:

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show in Explorer. Zip the guest's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Run 'ip address' in the host PC and the VM. Post both command outputs as text here on the forum.

Ping 8.8.8.8 in the host PC and the VM. Post both command outputs as text here on the forum.

Please label each posting so we know where it comes from, home or work, host or VM.

By the way, I googled Microtik, but I don't know if I am getting what you have. What do you mean by Microtik?
doguibnu

Post by doguibnu »

"sounded like they're talking about a special internet medium. I guess they have a Mikrotik device in their work Internet connection...[/quote]"
Yes, you are right. At work we have MicroTik (the provider install it) that the internet goes to pfsense and there does not let access Linux machine by: smb://server/share_name_folder
But, in my house that has not MicroTik, works nice to access the share folder

In the other hand, talking in pfsense forum, I guy explain that:

"try if you can access with
smb://server.localdomain.local/share_folder_name
if you can,
you are probably missing

dns-search localdomain.local

this is automatically added on windows but not on Linux
substitute localdomain.local with what you have for your Lan network"

So, I did could access manually by:
smb://hostname_server/share_folder_name

here
https://imgur.com/0N8uy1n

But, I would like to know why in my house that has not Microtik I can in Linux Machine click in the network, so it shows the folders, click on and it opens nice asking for user and password normally.
At work access by pfsense's Guy explain or smb://IP_server/share_folder_name

Thanks you!

scottgus1 wrote:That's what I was finding too, the router & wi-fi company https://mikrotik.com/. The way doguibnu mentions it:
doguibnu wrote:Our Internet provider (public IP) give us Internet by Microtik that go to our PFsense
vs
doguibnu wrote:my house the internet came by Fiber to ZHONE modem...without Microtik
sounded like they're talking about a special internet medium. I guess they have a Mikrotik device in their work Internet connection...