Shared folder

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
HTS

Shared folder

Post by HTS »

Hello all. Sorry for the question about such old stuff. Running Dos 6.22 on a Windows 10 host. trying to setup a shared folder between windows 10 and dos.
I must be overlooking something as it seems straight forward but I don't see anything in the Dos guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared folder

Post by mpack »

HTS wrote:I must be overlooking something as it seems straight forward but I don't see anything in the Dos guest.
It isn't straightforward at all. There are no Guest Additions for DOS and therefore no GA shared folders.

A true network share would usually be possible in an unsupported guest OS (e.g. Android), but DOS 6.22 is way too old to support any current network sharing protocol. You may be able to get FreeDOS working with relatively modern networking - that isn't a promise because I haven't looked recently.

The tried and true way to get files into a DOS VM is using an ISO image of a CD. Note that DOS out-of-box is too old for data CDs too, but you can at least get drivers to allow it. See the "Other Guests" forum and the tutorials area. Also search the user manual and forums for mention of the "virtual ISO" feature, which is a way of treating a host folder as an ISO.

Topic moved to "Other Guests" since your Windows host is barely relevant to the question asked.

Final note: software like DOSBOX specializes in this stuff. Hopefully you have considered that option.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Ehm, for a true network share you require the host to support SMB1 (which is getting outdated by now). In terms of modern OS'es: you can set up SMB1 in Windows 10, and also in e.g. Ubuntu 18 LTS. With Ubuntu 20 you're out. Once I have some more time I will try FreeDOS :)
 Edit:  For completeness sake: the top post here: "Unofficial" GA for anything DOS-based. 
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

ghr,was there supposed to be a web link there? Scratch that, it's the sticky on this subforum viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105823
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ah yes, I forgot all about Javispedro's unofficial GAs. Be wary however, as that is completely unsupported officially.