Guest Additions for Android 8 VM

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Wysneus

Guest Additions for Android 8 VM

Post by Wysneus »

Does anyone know if there exist a .apk Guest Additions specifically for Android 8 guest? I found apk's (see link below), but it does not seem to work with Android 8. Or alternatively, is there anyone who can convert this .apk to work with Android 8 for me. The source code is also available on this link, but I don't have a clue how to use it.

(It seems I am not allowed to add a link to my post before one day has passed, so I will post the link tomorrow in a comment.)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions for Android 8 VM

Post by mpack »

No VirtualBox Guest Additions exist for Android. Basically no market exists for Android x86.

I would be very wary about installing anything that claims to be VirtualBox related that wasn't shipped with VirtualBox. I'm guessing that at best someone maybe converted the Linux GAs into an apk for some mysterious reason, but AFAIK those will not work in any version of Android. At worst it's just malware.
Wysneus

Post by Wysneus »

mpack wrote:No VirtualBox Guest Additions exist for Android. Basically no market exists for Android x86.

I would be very wary about installing anything that claims to be VirtualBox related that wasn't shipped with VirtualBox. I'm guessing that at best someone maybe converted the Linux GAs into an apk for some mysterious reason, but AFAIK those will not work in any version of Android. At worst it's just malware.
Thanks for the reply. Would it really be that difficult to adapt this apk for Android? Here is the link to the page where I found the apk.

https://alpine.pkgs.org/3.16/alpine-com ... 0.apk.html
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

As I said, there are no Guest Additions for Android. Also the linked APK doesn't seem to be an APK, I have no idea what it actually is. That said I don't claim to be an Android expert.
Wysneus

Post by Wysneus »

mpack wrote:As I said, there are no Guest Additions for Android. Also the linked APK doesn't seem to be an APK, I have no idea what it actually is. That said I don't claim to be an Android expert.
Thanks, I appreciate. I hope I can find someone somewhere that can help me. An APK Guest Additions for Android would really be nice.
mrkrstphr

Post by mrkrstphr »

Wysneus wrote:
mpack wrote:No VirtualBox Guest Additions exist for Android. Basically no market exists for Android x86.

Thanks for the reply. Would it really be that difficult to adapt this apk for Android? Here is the link to the page where I found the apk.

virtualbox-guest-additions-6.1.34-r0.apk
This is a package for the Alpine Package Keeper, the package manager for Alpine Linux (a Linux distro); it has nothing to do with Android except they both use the same extension.