can't assign IP to IN_PATH Interface

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
lsherrow

can't assign IP to IN_PATH Interface

Post by lsherrow »

Trying to install a riverbed appliance (steelhead). I have the box on line but it will not allow me to configure the inpath interface. From doing my research in VMware you need to have these two interfaces on different vswitches. If they are on the same vswitch you will get this same error. I have attached the interface to briged nic's that are on different access vlans but i still get the error. I have found that in VMware you also may need to disable lsp, but i do not see a function like that in VBOX. Does anyone have any guidance for me on this issue.

Thanks in advance for your time
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: can't assign IP to IN_PATH Interface

Post by socratis »

lsherrow wrote:Does anyone have any guidance for me on this issue.
Not unless someone has installed a RiverBed appliance, no. Because you're using lingo that is not familiar to the VirtualBox users (at least for me). Could you translate it in ... simpler English? ;)

And please don't ask how to translate what you did in another product in VirtualBox terms. You might have to follow different pathways.

So, can you describe the problem in terms of (let's say) a real computer? I want NIC1 to connect to network A, and NIC2 to be the bridge between network A and the internet. Or something simple as that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lsherrow

Post by lsherrow »

my apologizes, Riverbed Steelhead is supported in ESXi so when i was doing my research I was hitting alot of webpages on ESXi. I have not attempted this on ESX, i'm just searching the web for people have had this same issue. I'm trying to stay with box because i have so many other labs built with it. That and i like it better. The guest I'm building has 4 interfaces assigned but two do not show up after booting. The research i have done says that this can happen if they are associated to the same vswitch. In Vbox i'm assuming that is the VDE. I had hoped that attaching to a bridged interface would keep the traffic isolated, but the interfaces will not come up. Sorry about the verbiage, i don't think i have the experience of the users on these forums. The issue is the interfaces are built but do not show up. I believe this has to do with the VDE, i was really hoping that someone on the forum might know of an issue that referenced how to fix the problem in VMware might know how that same fix would be done in box. I dont know if you can create another VDE?

Thanks for any assistance,
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

lsherrow wrote: In Vbox i'm assuming that is the VDE.
What's a VDE in VirtualBox? Doesn't ring a bell... Don't use acronyms you might think we're familiar with...

Also, I looked for Riverbed Steelhead but there are a lot of them. Any chance for more details?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lsherrow

Post by lsherrow »

in VBOX there are two modes for generic networking. ( found this doing research)
Generic networking
Two possible sub-modes for Generic networking mode:

UDP Tunnel[8]
VDE (Virtual Distributed Ethernet) networking[9] (I dont think VDE is default though)

I tried more then a few versions of steelhead. the only one i had luck with getting to launch in box is CX version 8.0
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

lsherrow wrote:UDP Tunnel, VDE (Virtual Distributed Ethernet) networking
I found out what you are talking about. The references about UDP Tunnel and VDE in the manual, are a brief mention in ch. 6.2 Introduction to networking modes. Emphasis mine:
Generic networking
  • Rarely used modes share the same generic network interface, by allowing the user to select a driver which can be included with VirtualBox or be distributed in an extension pack.

At the moment there are potentially two available sub-modes:
    UDP Tunnel
    • This can be used to interconnect virtual machines running on different hosts directly, easily and transparently, over existing network infrastructure.
    VDE (Virtual Distributed Ethernet) networking
    • This option can be used to connect to a Virtual Distributed Ethernet switch on a Linux or a FreeBSD host. At the moment this needs compiling VirtualBox from sources, as the Oracle packages do not include it.
And the next mentions are in ch. 6.8 UDP Tunnel networking and 6.9 VDE networking.

Now, you might have noticed that this requires building VirtualBox from sources. I don't know that many people that build VirtualBox from source, and on top of that, I don't remember anyone ever mentioning UDP Tunnels or VDE in the last 5 years or so. So, the chances of finding someone that knows what you're talking about, might be slim.

For example, I'm building my own VirtualBox (mainly to test patches that I'm submitting), and I've never enabled that option. Not sure why you would choose that, it sounds really exotic, and honestly, I have no freaking clue what it does, or doesn't do. I believe that I've never even read these chapters, not that reading them helped me any more.

Try searching the forums, by using the following query in your favorite search engine: "VDE site:forums.virtualbox.org". This thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36492) seems to have quite some information, but I'd use the search string above as well...