Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
davideconte

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by davideconte »

estamos wrote:
jimstrong wrote:Managed to open VirtualBox, but got the following when starting a virtual machine:-

The virtual machine 'Windows 10 Pro' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
1. Uninstall VirtualBox using VirtualBox_uninstall.tool
2. Clean install VirtualBox using VirtualBox.pkg
3. At the end of the install, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, and the click the allow button

This should solve your issue .
Hello,
I tried this, but not works. So same problem here. <.<

Code: Select all

The virtual machine 'Centos x86_64 desktop' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

UPDATE:: solved following these steps:
vbox_tom wrote: Open Terminal in Recovery and type:

csrutil clear
reboot
Then uninstall and re-install virtualbox.
If needed go to System Preferences - Privacy - General and accept the extensions.

RMR

Post by RMR »

multiOS wrote:@RMR,

1. What do you mean by "import"? Hint: Hopefully not by using OVA if they were already installed using VirtualBox on the 'old' Machine.

2. What is your end goal? i.e. Total transfer of the VMs from 'old' to 'new' or to 'duplicate' installs on both computers, which could be a problem for Windows VMs (activation/licensing)
The goals is #2. Rather than install Linux and Win10 on the MacBook's VB and then re-installing all the apps in the two OSs, I'm trying to export the VMs (using the VB export tool) and then import them into VB on the MacBook.
cannothas

Post by cannothas »

Guys, I just started adding permissions for virtualbox in security and privacy. My Win10 VM works now!

You probably don't need all these, but the ones I gave it were: Accessibility, input monitoring, and full disk access.

Give that a shot!
Cristian Sitov

Post by Cristian Sitov »

This is stupid. And becomes annoying each month. I have same error, over and over, no matter what I do.

==> SU: Setting the name of the VM: SU
==> SU: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["hostonlyif", "create"]

Stderr: 0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 95 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
TommiContursi

Post by TommiContursi »

I'm now getting very frustrated with this. I have now used more than two hours trying to reinstall Virtualbox 5.2 (the only version that works with our Vagrant box) and without any success.

I have tried to reboot in recover mode, typed to console "csrutil", "clear" and also tried allowing Oracle developer ID with the following instructions.

spctl kext-consent disable
spctl kext-consent add VB5E2TV963
spctl kext-consent enable 
reboot
And on top of that, I tried entering sudo spctl --master-disable in the terminal so Gatekeeper would allow apps to be installed from anywhere. But, still no luck with this and this starts to feel like I'm banging my head to the wall.
mnuruddin

Post by mnuruddin »

cannothas wrote:Guys, I just started adding permissions for virtualbox in security and privacy. My Win10 VM works now!

You probably don't need all these, but the ones I gave it were: Accessibility, input monitoring, and full disk access.

Give that a shot!
Do you uninstall and reinstall the VB prior this step? Or just simply adding work on security and privacy setting?
Orabearo

Post by Orabearo »

Hi

]csrutil clear
reboot
Did not work for me either.

After this and multiple reboots, executing the below still gets basically nothing and the same error 1908

sudo kextstat | grep -i virtualbox

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded
No variant specified, falling back to release
Note: In a few past attempts I did get the permissions ask in System Preferences - Privacy - General, but in recent ones this no longer appears.
in both cases, error remains.

I'm on Big Sur 11.0.1 and VBox 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.6.3).
pipiche

Post by pipiche »

any update ? as we now have the issue on stable MacOs 11 !!!!
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@RMR

Instead of using export, just copy the individual VM Folders to an external USB HardDrive/SSD then copy them to the correct location on the other PC and re-register them in the VirtualBox Manager.

Linux VMs should have no problem unless you try to use networking across the two Mac Systems as you would have 'identical twins'. If that is likely to arise, you could clone the VMs which would create 'non-identical twins'.

Windows presents a different issue because the standard software license is one installation per device; and if/when Microsoft's Activation Servers detect that the same installation is running on two different systems it is likely to result in deactivation.

@Others,

Sorry I can't give an answer to your issues because I have VMs working on Big Sur on 2 Macs (MacBook Pros 2011 & 2019) and didn't have to do anything after upgrading to Big Sur, so VirtualBox is definitely functional under Big Sur if you can get through over any installation issues with Apple's software security:
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 19.22.50.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 19.22.50.jpg (110.04 KiB) Viewed 21794 times
RMR

Post by RMR »

multiOS wrote:@RMR

Instead of using export, just copy the individual VM Folders to an external USB HardDrive/SSD then copy them to the correct location on the other PC and re-register them in the VirtualBox Manager.

Linux VMs should have no problem unless you try to use networking across the two Mac Systems as you would have 'identical twins'. If that is likely to arise, you could clone the VMs which would create 'non-identical twins'.

Windows presents a different issue because the standard software license is one installation per device; and if/when Microsoft's Activation Servers detect that the same installation is running on two different systems it is likely to result in deactivation.

@Others,

Sorry I can't give an answer to your issues because I have VMs working on Big Sur on 2 Macs (MacBook Pros 2011 & 2019) and didn't have to do anything after upgrading to Big Sur, so VirtualBox is definitely functional under Big Sur if you can get through over any installation issues with Apple's software security:
Thanks for this recommendation. Just to be clear, exactly what do you mean: "re-register them in the VirtualBox Manage"?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@RMR,

Two methods:

1. Use the VirtualBox Manager Menu and choose Machine > Add... once the VM Folders have been added and follow the prompts; or
2. Within each VM Folder double-click on the .vbox file (If the .vbox file extension isn't visible, then you need to turn on "show file extensions" in MacOS)

(All being well) either action should add the VMs, one-by-one to the Menu Pane and also show the settings pane as normal and they are then 'registered' and should launch normally.

If you have any further problems, it might be best to start a new topic as this one is becoming quite confused now that 'Big Sur' is officially released.

Good luck (You shouldn't need it, but just in case :D )
Gallos

Post by Gallos »

Hello,

I have same issues.
RunningError
RunningError
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 21.50.48.png (39.46 KiB) Viewed 21773 times
I try this to add VirtualBox in
macandroid wrote: 'Full disk access' setting.]
And this, but nothing's changed.
vbox_tom wrote:
Open Terminal in Recovery and type:

csrutil clear
reboot
If needed go to System Preferences - Privacy - General and accept the extensions.

If someone needs to reset kext completely:
1 Boot into recovery and delete entries in kext database with sqlite3 commands.
2 Reset PRAM. (Disable Firmware Password before - if set)
3 Uninstall and re-install virtualbox
And if i want to install the app I have an error. Same error with install -pkg from the terminal. I try with another macBook pro and I have sames error
InstallError
InstallError
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 21.46.43.png (108.1 KiB) Viewed 21773 times

--- UPDATE ---
All virtualBox extension is loaded, and the installation from the test builds is great. But the Error exit code 1 persists.
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 22.25.08.png
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 22.25.08.png (100.27 KiB) Viewed 21767 times
Last edited by Gallos on 18. Nov 2020, 23:44, edited 2 times in total.
Oracolo_di_Omaha

Post by Oracolo_di_Omaha »

multiOS wrote:@RMR,

Two methods:

1. Use the VirtualBox Manager Menu and choose Machine > Add... once the VM Folders have been added and follow the prompts; or
2. Within each VM Folder double-click on the .vbox file (If the .vbox file extension isn't visible, then you need to turn on "show file extensions" in MacOS)

(All being well) either action should add the VMs, one-by-one to the Menu Pane and also show the settings pane as normal and they are then 'registered' and should launch normally.

If you have any further problems, it might be best to start a new topic as this one is becoming quite confused now that 'Big Sur' is officially released.

Good luck (You shouldn't need it, but just in case :D )
Dear,

Thanks but your solution doesn't work for me either.

Other solutions?
unis89

Post by unis89 »

vbox_tom wrote:For me none of the solutions above worked.

But what works (tested twice) is booting to recovery (cmd+R) and enabling all components of sip.

Open Terminal in Recovery and type:

csrutil clear
reboot
This works for me as well, thank you so much. Back to work!!
Infarinato

Post by Infarinato »

Alas, not for me. :(