Big Sur Host Issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jimstrong

Re: Big Sur Host Issues

Post by jimstrong »

Thanks - but I have been through that process several times - the System Preferences, Security and Privacy "allow" button never appears.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

One post on Mac Hosts suggests that Security and Privacy should be open while Virtualbox is being installed. Try uninstalling Virtualbox, rebooting, then open Security and Privacy and monitor it while Virtualbox is being reinstalled. See what that does.
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

Thanks again - I have been doing that - and just additionally tried
sudo spctl --master-disable
to enable install from anywhere, but I still get "Installation Failed".

Tried proceeding nevertheless and then rebooting and running
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB

but same result with NS_ERROR_FAILURE
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

scottgus1 wrote:One post on Mac Hosts suggests that Security and Privacy should be open while Virtualbox is being installed. Try uninstalling Virtualbox, rebooting, then open Security and Privacy and monitor it while Virtualbox is being reinstalled. See what that does.
Have now managed to get an install by following these instructions, but not rebooting in between (which is whatI had been doing).
I still get the NS_ERROR message when stating a VM normally, but this morning found out that a headless start seems to work OK! So this seems to point to something in the normal startup configuration.
aeichner
Oracle Corporation

Post by aeichner »

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds got updated with a new 6.1 testbuild including a crash fix when clicking on anything in the GUI which opens a popup menu. For installation it is advised to completely uninstall the old VirtualBox install, reboot and then reinstall VirtualBox and reboot again to make sure that the old KEXTs are removed before the new ones are installed.
h72837

Post by h72837 »

I'm on the latest macos beta build. I downloaded 140728, installed it with security options unlocked and when prompted I rebooting to allow virtualbox components to run. Re-ran the installer and installation finished successfully. I'm able to run ubuntu x64 VM.

I didn't have to run

Code: Select all

sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv                                                                                  
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB
and didn't have to boot into Recovery Mode (Command+R) and access Terminal to disable SIP with command

csrutil disable
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

I'm not seeing any of those prompts, so am thinking there' may be an issue with my setup and that it's time for a reinstall (I've been doing upgrades only for several versions).

Carrying that out now and will report back.
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

jimstrong wrote:Carrying that out now and will report back.
No difference. Uninstalled and reinstalled - can get VirtualBox to launch, but still get NS_ERROR on existing and new Virtual Machines
h72837

Post by h72837 »

jimstrong wrote:I'm not seeing any of those prompts, so am thinking there' may be an issue with my setup and that it's time for a reinstall (I've been doing upgrades only for several versions).

Carrying that out now and will report back.
My macos beta install is a fresh one. In my previous install I remember that I got the security popup only once even after uninstalling and reinstalling virtualbox.
If you allowed the components once then you are fine.
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

h72837 wrote:If you allowed the components once then you are fine.
Thanks for that. I did a full reinstall of Big Sur from Recovery and got VirtualBox running, but still not the Machines.

Maybe the next step is to do a completely clean "Wipe and install" of Big Sur and reimport my data manually from backup, but apart from VirtualBox everything else is running well (apart from a display glitch with the iCloud Drive "Options" button).
h72837

Post by h72837 »

jimstrong wrote:
h72837 wrote:If you allowed the components once then you are fine.
Thanks for that. I did a full reinstall of Big Sur from Recovery and got VirtualBox running, but still not the Machines.

Maybe the next step is to do a completely clean "Wipe and install" of Big Sur and reimport my data manually from backup, but apart from VirtualBox everything else is running well (apart from a display glitch with the iCloud Drive "Options" button).
after you tried to run a vm

run these commands

sudo dmesg

sudo kmutil dumpstate

sudo kmutil showloaded
and post the output in this ticket thread

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19795

vbox devs are actively monitoring that thread
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

I will!! Thanks!
aeichner
Oracle Corporation

Post by aeichner »

Thanks for the feedback so far, there is a new testbuild available at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds which contains some fixes to the installer. When testing make sure that you have completely uninstalled VirtualBox and rebooted the host before attempting to install it again. Please also don't disable SIP because we're interested in feedback with everything enabled, the testbuild is fully signed and notarized so there should be no issue in that regard.
The installer should show a prompt now to notify the user that a reboot is required but with a a Beta 9 host here this doesn't appear to work always and Apple doesn't show any dialog either. So in any case you have to reboot again after installing VIrtualBox (annoying but this is something we can not change or work around in any way, this is enforced by Apple and their new style of loading KEXTs...).
jimstrong

Post by jimstrong »

Success!! Great work - thanks!!

- Uninstalled and rebooted
- SIP Enabled
- Kept System Prefs closed
- Installation succeeded
- Installed Extensions pack
- Rebooted*
- Virtual Machine started up

*I'm on beta 9 and - as you suggested - didn't get the prompt to reboot.
faberge

Post by faberge »

I did not have success with Test Build (6.1.x revision 140753). Just upgraded to BIg Sur Beta 9.

1. Uninstalled Virtual Box using the tool.
2. Rebooted.
3. Installed Virtual Box (did receive prompt to allow VirtualBox to make changes).
4. Rebooted
5. VirtualBox will open, but neither existing or new VMs will not run.

I did not get prompts about a reboot.

I receive this error when trying to run any VMs:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.