Crash with 6.0.14 on OSX 10.15

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
VIRTUAL BOX

Crash with 6.0.14 on OSX 10.15

Post by VIRTUAL BOX »

I have installed the latest 6.0.14 it keeps crashing after I out it in the background as long as I keep it as the main and only program it runs just find, one I full up another program or minimize it it just cranes
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Crash with 6.0.14 on OSX 10.15

Post by socratis »

Can you explain what's going on exactly? A step-by-step guide?

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Korasistemi

Post by Korasistemi »

The same problem here.

Is a really big bug, is totally unusable: I have to left the VM open and not touch nothing at all.

Please solve.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Korasistemi wrote:Please solve.
There's no way that this can be solved with the amount of information (none whatsoever) that you provided.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
icumara

Post by icumara »

I am having this problem as well.
macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 (18G3005)
vitualbox 6.0.14 r133895 (Qt5.6.3)
It's causing the os to crash and reboot.
Logs attached.
Loonachip

Post by Loonachip »

I hope this will help, since this bug seems quite serious.
Even though I have a bit different environment (see end of post), I have the same issue.

Issue description:
After machine boot properly, I launch demanding compilation task, that uses multithreading (make command with set multiple jobs, up to max amount of given virtual cores).
After a period like 2-10 seconds, whole HOST OS freezes for couple of seconds and crashes to reboot.

Different use cases:
I tried out different guest settings to fix the problem, but the only change that I was able to perform with any difference in behaviour was setting different amount of cores given to VM.
The less I gave it, the longer I must wait for host crash. For 8 it takes 1/2 compilation runs to cause the crash. Given 2, it linearly decreases to approx. 10-20.
(Attached VBox_For_LinuxMint.log contains info about run of VM given 8 cores)
I wasn't able to perform crash on 1 given core, because compilation takes an eternity then, so I wasn't able to perform too much of them.

I tried also with different VBox versions. Bug remains under 6.0.0, 6.1.0 and even with ones of 5.2.X and 4.X.X (cant remember now which exactly)

Test host setup:
Machine: iMacPro 2017
Processor: Intel Xeon W 8 x 3,2GHz
RAM: 32GB (9,5 GB used by OS and apps) 2666 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Test guests setup:
Crash_infoz.zip contains .vbox-prev files for both guests I have - Linux Mint and Win 10 Enterprise
Attachments
Crash_info.zip
MD5 for Crash_info.zip: b16ae37bd8fc24319742e50e6fe11ad9
(29.75 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Loonachip

Post by Loonachip »

I've just triggered the crash again, but this time I had 3 cores given.
Host broke down as I connected to guest's Visual Studio Code via Remote Development plugin.
I haven't got to the point I was able to run compilation of anything.
Loonachip

Post by Loonachip »

New info - my collegue have performed this crash as he turned network bridging on.
Is there any interest in this topic so far?