For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
lukas-bla

VMs can't launch (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

Post by lukas-bla »

Hey,

I can't launch any VM. Getting this error:

Code: Select all

The VM session was aborted.

Fehlercode: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
The environment:
MacBook Pro Mid 2017 (15"), MacOS Catalina 10.15 (Beta)
VirtualBox Version 6.0.12 r133076 + Extension Pack

Any ideas? I already tried to reinstall VirtualBox.

Lukas
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VMs can't launch (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

Post by socratis »

lukas-bla wrote:MacBook Pro Mid 2017 (15"), MacOS Catalina 10.15 (Beta)
Then may I ask why you posted on the "Linux Hosts" section? Doesn't compute... I'm moving this to the "OSX pre-releases" section where it should normally lie.
lukas-bla wrote:I already tried to reinstall VirtualBox.
How did that go? Any errors? In theory, you should take some actions, don't know if you did.

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, if you don't already have it.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lukas-bla

Post by lukas-bla »

Hi,

i attached the installation logs and the "problem report" of the crashing vm.

Lukas
Attachments
crash.log
(72.77 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Installer Log 16-Sep-2019.txt
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Your installation seems to be going fine.
  2. There are known crashes with Catalina. See for example Virtualbox crashes when selecting another window
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.