[Resolved] Extension pack install fails

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
jhclifton

[Resolved] Extension pack install fails

Post by jhclifton »

I'm getting the following:
The installer failed with exit code 667: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: Failed to open the extension pack tarbalVERR_ACCESS_DENIED ('/Users/joeclifton/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack')
rcExit=1.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {70401eef-c8e9-466b-9660-45cb3e9979e4}
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 19. Jul 2019, 07:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Extension pack install fails

Post by socratis »

How exactly are you trying to install the ExtPack, by double-clicking on it? As which user, "joeclifton"? Can you post the output of the command (run from the Terminal):
  • 
    ls -ale@ /Users/joeclifton/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack
There's another way to install the ExtPack, by going to the VirtualBox Preferences » Extensions » click on the folder icon with the green plus (Image) and navigate to where you stored the ExtPack. You'll be prompted for an admin username/password.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jhclifton

Post by jhclifton »

Yes i try by double-clicking on it.
i tried the way in preferences and get the same error.
here is the output of the command:
Joes-MBP:~ joeclifton$ ls -ale@ /Users/joeclifton/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack
-rw-r--r--@ 1 joeclifton  staff  23309069 Jul 11 19:27 /Users/joeclifton/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack
	com.apple.lastuseddate#PS	      16 
	com.apple.macl	      72 
	com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms	     196 
	com.apple.quarantine	      57 
Joes-MBP:~ joeclifton$
Last edited by socratis on 13. Jul 2019, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Issue the command:
  • 
    xattr -rc /Users/joeclifton/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack
Move the ExtPack to somewhere common, like /Users/Shared/Downloads. Then from the Finder » Get Info, give everyone read-write access.

Really don't know why it does that, here's how the equivalent mine looks like, and I've never had a single issue:
$ ls -ale@ /Users/Shared/VirtualBox/_Downloads/6.0.x/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8-130520.vbox-extpack
-rw-r--r--  1 socratis  staff  23309069 15 Μαϊ 08:35 /Users/Shared/VirtualBox/_Downloads/6.0.x/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8-130520.vbox-extpack
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

What version of OS X are you running? There has been a report recently of Catalina betas not allowing installation from the regular download directory.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:Catalina betas not allowing installation from the regular download directory
D'oh! :shock:
I completely forgot about that (MacOS Catalina 10.15 Extension Pack Fails)! Thanks Andy! 8)

Oh, and if you want to really start crying about VirtualBox not working at all in Catalina and later, check out "7 Big Security Surprises Coming to macOS 10.15 Catalina". After I read it, I wanted to submit the author in a flogging ritual for dismissing like it's no biggie, the elimination of kexts... :|
jhclifton

Post by jhclifton »

Forgot to tell you that it was Catalina Beta ...
\I moved the pack to another directory and it installs fine now.
Thanks for all the help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Resolved].

Moving to "OSX pre-releases" from "OSX Hosts".
Bobby_Haxelrod

Re: [Resolved] Extension pack install fails

Post by Bobby_Haxelrod »

In Vbox, I went to:

Preferences > Ports > USB > USB 1.1 Controller

And VM runs.
jaredbaszler

Post by jaredbaszler »

socratis wrote:Issue the command:
  • 
    xattr -rc /Users/joeclifton/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8.vbox-extpack
Move the ExtPack to somewhere common, like /Users/Shared/Downloads. Then from the Finder » Get Info, give everyone read-write access.

Really don't know why it does that, here's how the equivalent mine looks like, and I've never had a single issue:
$ ls -ale@ /Users/Shared/VirtualBox/_Downloads/6.0.x/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8-130520.vbox-extpack
-rw-r--r--  1 socratis  staff  23309069 15 Μαϊ 08:35 /Users/Shared/VirtualBox/_Downloads/6.0.x/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.8-130520.vbox-extpack
I had created a partitioned drive strictly for my OS emulator and had the extension file placed on that drive. I would get this error when the extension was located there. Thanks to this post, I had to move it to a common area on my main C: drive for it to work.