Virtualbox crashes when selecting another window.

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
JS305

Re: Virtualbox crashes when selecting another window.

Post by JS305 »

I had added Virtualbox in "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" > "Accessibility", too, and as soon as I removed Virtualbox there, all was back to normal.
DavGerm4

Post by DavGerm4 »

JS305 wrote:I had added Virtualbox in "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" > "Accessibility", too, and as soon as I removed Virtualbox there, all was back to normal.
That fixed it for me! Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JS305 wrote:I had added Virtualbox in "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" > "Accessibility"
That was a manual addition, or a system addition? And what exactly having VirtualBox in there does? Does it have any options? Can you add apps at will?

Details people!!! :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nuoyaxin
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by nuoyaxin »

socratis,

The system had added VirtualBox into the program list which supposedly had requested access to Accessibility features (or VirtualBox did indeed request access somehow during the installation process). I too fell for this "trap" and gave permission, thinking it would help make things easier. Luckily I then found this thread telling me, that I should indeed not give permission to VirtualBox for Accessibility and after revoking the permission things started working again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks @nuoyaxin for the info.

It seems that the solution "might" be as simple as to toggle a flag or two in VirtualBox, as to not ask (or require) accessibility features access. I don't know how easy or desirable that would be, that's something for the developers to figure out...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tdub

Post by tdub »

I had to remove from accessibility under the privacy settings. It wouldn’t let me just unclick it, I had to remove it from the section all together. Hope this helps.
VBUser12345

Post by VBUser12345 »

Hi ...

I thought I'd add my experience of working around this issue in Catalina beta. Exactly the same symptoms as reported here by others, with the VB client aborting if I clicked outside the window.

I hadn't noticed the second page of this post which mentioned the "Accessibility" settings, and so ended up focussing on the "Input Monitoring" settings under "Security & Privacy". VirtualBox was not listed there, so I added it in and left it checked. This made no difference. However, as soon as I unchecked it, I received a prompt (by MacOS) to restart VirtualBox. After doing that everything worked as before :)

Summary:

1] Go to System Preferences
2] Go to Security & Privacy
3] Select Input Monitoring from the LHS list
4] Click the lock to unlock the RHS list
5] Click the + at the bottom of the RHS list
6] Choose VirtualBox.app (usually in ~/Applications)
7] Uncheck the VirtualBox.app listing
8] A modal will popup asking to close VirtualBox. Accept it ..

Voila.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, adding it on purpose (as opposed to simply being there as 'amsainfor' reported) and then explicitly denying access, fixed it for you. Interesting...
Alfoncova

VM aborts in macOS Catalina

Post by Alfoncova »

I' running VirtualBox 6.0 in macOS Catalina and created a Debian(64-bit) VM to run Kali Linux. The VM runs but gets aborted on any click event outside the VM screen. I tried disabling the pointer capturing but the issue persists. I would like to use the VM along with some macOS Apps, this issue is not allowing me to do so.

VM last crash log:

Code: Select all

Process:               VirtualBoxVM [676]
Path:                  /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
Identifier:            org.virtualbox.app.VirtualBoxVM
Version:               6.0.10 (6.0.10)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        VBoxSVC [656]
Responsible:           VirtualBox [652]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-07-30 08:50:43.675 -0500
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.15 (19A512f)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        F1824F9E-8A31-B766-DB2C-839A6558E530

Time Awake Since Boot: 420 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        3  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos.overcommit

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000080080020
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [676]

VM Regions Near 0x80080020:
--> 
    __TEXT                 0000000103467000-0000000103489000 [  136K] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
Last edited by socratis on 30. Jul 2019, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VM aborts in macOS Catalina

Post by mpack »

Not a "Using VirtualBox" question. Moving topic to "OS X Hosts".
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: VM aborts in macOS Catalina

Post by socratis »

Further moving to "OSX pre-releases" (10.15 is not out yet) and merging with the appropriate existing thread. Please read it fro the beginning, the solution is in here...
fruitsalad

VM's crash under MacOS

Post by fruitsalad »

Hello,

I am running Macos Catalina 19A526h and VirtualBox 6.0.10 without Extensions of any kind. When I bring the window of another Application in the foreground while running any VM the VM's will instantly crash. Windows is closed.
This also happened under earlier MacOS Version with other Virtualbox Verions. I also tried some Nightlies either.
Right know I wanted to give it a try again. First had some problems with start of VM's then it ran. Brought another window to the foreground and it crashed again. Now I cant start the VM at all. VirtualBox gives me the following error

"NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)"
Attachments
VM.log
(71.48 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fruitsalad wrote:I am running Macos Catalina 19A526h
@fruitsalad, this is an OSX beta, so I merged your thread with the existing thread on the subject in the "OSX pre-releases" area. Please read the thread from the beginning...
Spadarojr

Post by Spadarojr »

It worked for me change Headless Mode!!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Spadarojr
Of course it would! The crash involves a VirtualBox window. If you change the VM to run headless, there's no window => no way to trigger the crash! ;)