Virtualbox crashes when selecting another window.

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
groundhog

Re: Virtualbox crashes when selecting another window.

Post by groundhog »

amsainfor wrote:Issue is resolved if you disable on "System Preferences" -> "privacy" > "input Monitoring" and UNCHECK Virtualbox if checked
this is very helpful, thanks a lot
mysticaltech

Post by mysticaltech »

Thank you so much! This fix the problem... Was getting me nuts!
amsainfor wrote:Issue is resolved if you disable on "System Preferences" -> "privacy" > "input Monitoring" and UNCHECK Virtualbox if checked
nicko2n

Post by nicko2n »

DavGerm4 wrote:I too am having this issue with virtualbox. Tried developer builds, but they wouldn't install, so on releases 6.0.4 and 6.0.8 for me, if I click outside of the VirtualBox window while it's loading a VM, it closes the VM completely. Also my "Input Monitoring" doesn't have anything in there shown. So doesn't really fix it for me.
I had the same issue and worked around it by first adding VirtualBox to the list of Apps in "Input Monitoring" and then unchecking it. The workaround then worked for me.
OrangeMenace

Post by OrangeMenace »

How did you add VirtualBox to the list of apps in "Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Input Monitoring"? The "System Preferences" app provides no means of doing this.
prad007

Post by prad007 »

Seems to be problem is only with adding virtual box in Accessibility. Having Virtual box in Input Monitoring has no issue.

first I had unchecked virtual box at both the places and my VM was stable after that I have added it in Accessibility then started facing the same crashes. so, I have kept VirtualBox in input monitoring and unchecked only in accessibility... post that no crashes are observed.
flofloi

Post by flofloi »

I never had it in Input Monitoring (also cannot add anything there manually) but tried to uncheck it in Accessibility with no effect (cannot be unchecked). So I deleted it in Accessibility. Now VirtualBox works again, but I do get the popup for it to be added back to Accessibility when starting a VM which I denied.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Oct 2019, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
SNE_VB

Post by SNE_VB »

Same issues after upgrading from Mojave to Catalina - Virtualbox crashes when switching to another windows outside it (another desktop, the finder, etc.)

Solved it by removing it from System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab - Accessibility.

It was not located in input monitoring.
FabiusChiang

Post by FabiusChiang »

I don't find anything in "System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab -> Input Monitoring", there is even no "+" button as there is nothing at all.

Then I find VirtualBox in "System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab - Accessibility", I removed it.

Then I close the VirtualBox and relaunch it, which asks for Accessibility again, I denied it.

Finally, the problem is resolved. Thanks for all the above posters.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Since 10.15 (Catalina) is now officially out, I'm going to Lock this thread in the "OSX pre-releases" area. Discussions can continue in the "OSX Hosts" area. There is already a thread that deals with the same crashes, VirtualBox crashes after upgrading to macOS Catalina.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.