VirtualBox crashes when powering off VM

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
schafdog

VirtualBox crashes when powering off VM

Post by schafdog »

Testing a automated debian installation on OS X Mojave Beta (18A371a)

When I power off or VM shuts down the VirtualBox crashes pretty much every time.

Anybody else seen this?
Attachments
Virtualbox_crash_on_VM_poweroff.txt
(67.77 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox crashes when powering off VM

Post by socratis »

How exactly are you installing it?
Does it happen with a "normal" installation?
Do you have the script/instructions/commands?

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
schafdog

Post by schafdog »

Sorry I was a bit short in my description

Created a Debian VM using VirtualBox UI. Nothing automated here.

The VM is set up to do Network boot and that starts a Debian netbook installation. Since I was perfecting this automation I ran it a lot of times and every time it crashed when the installation was finished and I either powered off or if I did a shutdown from Debian.

I think I see a screen/dialog showing for very short time, not long enough to see anything. Seems that the stack trace also indicates this:
Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: setSubmenu:

The problem still exists when I run the VM and then shuts it down. So it's not related to the netboot/automated installation

Should have shorten the log, sorry.
schafdog

Post by schafdog »

Missing information:
Virtualbox 5.2.18 (just upgraded from a 5.1 version)
MacBook Pro Retina 2012
16GB RAM

I will try to move the VM to another mac to see if it can be reproduced there.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Start the VM from a cold boot. When you try to shutdown the VM and it aborts, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Also, right-click on the VM, "Show in Finder". ZIP the .vbox file and attach that as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

As you can see from the stack trace, the is crash very deep in Apple's code. You may be better off reporting this to Apple, especially if it's not reproducible on released OS versions.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

@michaln:
The crash is probably based on known bugs in QT 5.6.3 for macOS, which have been solved in multiple bugfixes up to QT 5.12 (the current LTS version). For many details regarding this VirtualBox crash see my posts in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91817.

Why is VirtualBox 6.0 on macOS hosts still based on the old QT LTS version 5.6.3 and not on the current QT LTS version 5.12 (like VirtualBox on current Linux distributions)? How difficult is it to replace the QT library in VirtualBox for macOS?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fth0 wrote:The crash is probably based on known bugs in QT 5.6.3 for macOS
I wouldn't be so sure about that, I wouldn't bet on it, no way. I'm running VirtualBox (all sorts of versions) in OSX from 10.9.5 (yes, you read that right) up to 10.14.5 and everything in between (literally), and soon 10.15 when it goes public. I have an ext.HD that does nothing else but to boot my 2nd MBP with various OSX/VirtualBox versions.

In none of them I have a crash when shutdown, neither does the majority of people using VirtualBox on OSX. The few that have reported such an issue, have almost always had a heavily modified system (kexts, permissions, etc).

But in any event, you replied to a post about 10.14 beta, that was a long time ago, and that's why I'm thinking that this thread should be locked. I don't know if you wanted to promote your own thread, but if you do, take a look at my last post in your thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91817#p450449) and provide the information requested. In your thread...
fth0 wrote:Why is VirtualBox 6.0 on macOS hosts still based on the old QT LTS version 5.6.3 and not on the current QT LTS version 5.12
Licensing issues. Don't ask for details please...
fth0 wrote:QT LTS version 5.12 (like VirtualBox on current Linux distributions)?
VirtualBox is *not* based on Qt 5.12 on Linux distros, where did you get that idea? On my Mint19-64 (fresh/virgin) I get:
Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.9.5)
...and that's because Mint19 comes with Qt 5.9.5.

Generally speaking, VirtualBox uses the Qt version that the distro comes with. If a distro comes with Qt 5.12, then Qt 5.12 is going to be used. If I use the "Generic" Linux version which comes linked with its own set of libraries, and doesn't use the distro provided ones, then I get:
Version 6.0.97 r131153 (Qt5.6.1)