[Fixed] 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
IPv6Freely
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Junos

Re: 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave

Post by IPv6Freely »

OSKextIsInExcludeList is the function in the macOS OSKext.c (google it since I can't post URLs yet):

Code: Select all

/*********************************************************************
 * OSKextIsInExcludeList checks to see if the given kext is in the 
 * kext exclude list (com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList).  If useCache
 * is TRUE, we will use the cached copy of the exclude list.
 * If useCache is FALSE, we will refresh the cache from disk.  The 
 * kext exclude list rarely changes but to insure you have the most 
 * recent copy in the cache pass FALSE for the first call and TRUE for
 * subsequent calls (when dealing with a large list of kexts).
 * theKext can be NULL if you just want the invalidate the cache.
 *********************************************************************/
And the function is called in function authenticateKext function in security.c

if ([b]OSKextIsInExcludeList[/b](theKext, true)) {
        OSKextLogCFString(NULL,
                          kOSKextLogErrorLevel | kOSKextLogValidationFlag,
                          CFSTR("Kext rejected due to presence on exclude list: %@"),
                          theKext);
        messageTraceExcludedKext(theKext);
        result = false;
        goto finish;
    }
Looks like the exclude list is com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList. I'll keep digging...
Chris Jones
Sr. Network Engineer - Sempra Energy
JNCIE-ENT #272, CCIE #25655 (R&S)
Apple Developer Program - Running macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

I modified my com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList hoping that might work, but no luck.

cjones@cjones-mbp$ sudo kextcache -invalidate /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
Password:
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9ee4e31570 [0x7fff8b98b8d0]> { U.R.L = "AppleKextExcludeList.kext/ -- file:///Volumes/Macintosh%20HD/System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList" }
I did notice that inside the Info.plist file in the VBoxDrv kext it was 5.2.12, but the KextExcludeList specified "LT 5.3":

<key>org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv</key>
		<string>LT 5.3</string>
The one from High Sierra looked like this:

<string>LE 4.3.24</string>
So I wonder if the Info.plist just needs updating to a newer version. I tried doing this myself but not surprisingly the system complained because it was not signed correctly. So maybe it's that simple?

EDIT: I even tried replacing the AppleKextExcludeList.kext with one from High Sierra and rebuilding the kext cache hoping that would work. No luck.
Chris Jones
rimraffchampion

Post by rimraffchampion »

@socratis

Can't provide you with my ID unfortunately. :lol: But I can direct you to a well used 3rd party mirror for the betas.

The website [ModEdit: URL removed] has re-uploads of all the latest releases. For Mac, download the beta software configuration profile (the second download on that site listed as (macOS Mojave). They also have the full installer on there but if you install the profile it downloads it directly from the App Store which I would trust more! :wink:
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jun 2018, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@rimraffchampion
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the offer! But, I can't allow the URL to stand. As a really esteemed colleague mentioned:
On this site we like to pretend that everyone is honest, observes copyright, and doesn't use trial software for more than the intended period.
Thank you for the offer though. I've pulled some strings and I got what I want. But I won't be using it on my Mac, I'm planning first on making a VM out of it and then installing VirtualBox on the VM, I get more "lives" (if you've ever played arcade ;)).

But there are issues even getting a VM to work with 10.14, so, it looks like we're not there yet, neither as a host or as a guest. Apple has screwed up in the past and by the 2nd beta (the public) they've usually fixed their issues, let's see what's going to happen this time. It's always an interesting "ride" with OSX... :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CoyoteDen

Post by CoyoteDen »

The kernel extension is not compatible.

You can modify the kext exclude list if you disable rootless. Boot to the Recovery OS, open terminal, execute

csrutil disable; reboot
Now you can modify /System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist and change the entry for VBoxDrv to:

<string>LT 5.2</string>
Reboot and it will use the modified exclusion list, but the kext still won't load:

bash-3.2# kextutil /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv start failed (result 0x5).
(kernel) Kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv failed to load (0xdc008017).
(kernel) Failed to load kext org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (error 0xdc008017).
Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

CoyoteDen wrote: Reboot and it will use the modified exclusion list, but the kext still won't load:
Correct. That was one of the first things I tried.

I don't know WHY Apple would block all current versions of Virtualbox, but I think the conclusion is that unless they un-do it (Can Oracle file some sort of ticket to have it un-done?) the only likely option is for Oracle to update to 5.3+. Kind of dumb, but it is what it is. 5.3 Release Notes: "Now compatible with Apple macOS Mojave" :roll:
Chris Jones
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805)

Post by socratis »

Added ticket related information in the first post and the title.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

Filed a bug report with Apple #41021597.

Also posted on the developer forums here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/316072
Chris Jones
deancs

Post by deancs »

When apple enabled exclusive 64bit support in 10.13.5 in readyness for 10.14 they published a boot args change to only permit 64bit apps under the OS. I applied this and found that VirtualBox failed to load due to some 32bit code. I changed my boot args back and kind of forgot about the issue.The UI loaded as it does in 10.14 but trying to start a virtual server produced an error.

To enable this under 10.13 you need to boot in recovery mode, launch terminal and then execute

sudo nvram boot-args="-no32exec"

to revert back;

sudo nvram boot-args=""

I am wondering if this is the underlying issue and if Apple have blocked VirtualBox knowing it was not 64bit compliant. I did a quick scan of VB release info and cant see any OSXZ changes for 64bit.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK people, basic question... I have now 2 (two) users reporting that they got past the installation. I would like to know how they did it.
  1. CRonoS in his post talks about the "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)".
  2. joe_8 at ticket #17823, talks about the exact same error.
What I'd like to know is if you completely ignored the failed installation message and tried to run VirtualBox nonetheless. I asked 'joe_8' from the bug tracker to reply to this thread.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

In my case, once I get the error message that the installation failed (because of the kext not loading), it was definitely possible to run VirtualBox and open the GUI however VMs failed to start (again because of the kext not being loaded).

So as far as the question
if you completely ignored the failed installation message and tried to run VirtualBox nonetheless
the answer is YES. The install is failing during the post-flight execution (https://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/tru ... postflight) and then the actual starting up of VMs fails because the kext isn't loaded.

So I suppose you could say that the installation itself succeeded, but the post-flight is what's actually failing (or causing the installer to say it failed). Clearly the software itself is indeed installed on my system.
Chris Jones
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

deancs wrote:When apple enabled exclusive 64bit support in 10.13.5 in readyness for 10.14 they published a boot args change to only permit 64bit apps under the OS. I applied this and found that VirtualBox failed to load due to some 32bit code. I changed my boot args back and kind of forgot about the issue.The UI loaded as it does in 10.14 but trying to start a virtual server produced an error.

I am wondering if this is the underlying issue and if Apple have blocked VirtualBox knowing it was not 64bit compliant. I did a quick scan of VB release info and cant see any OSXZ changes for 64bit.
Yup I was playing with that flag for unrelated reasons last week. You're right that it very well could be Apple blocking kexts from being loaded by applications with 32-bit code. That's actually a pretty sound theory. I wonder about some of the other additions to the KextExclude list - if those are also being blocked from loading kexts for the same reason.
Chris Jones
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

Apple updated (closed) my bug report with the following:
This is an issue for a third party to resolve based on the following:

The kext is blocked because it will panic the machine if allowed to load. Oracle is aware of what changes need to be made, it was communicated to them already. This is Oracle's issue to resolve, please contact them with any additional feedback.

We are closing this report.

If you have questions about the resolution, or if this is still a critical issue for you, then please update your bug report with that information.

Please be sure to regularly check new Apple releases for any updates that might affect this issue.
Chris Jones
ftruter

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by ftruter »

I get the same issues. Maybe this will help.
Attachments
kext.txt
kernel extension diagnostics
(3.42 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
ls.txt
File list
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Installer Log 15-Jun-2018.txt
installer log
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@ftruter
I moved your post from the thread "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)". You're running 10.14 beta. Same error? Yes. Same issue? No. Read the thread from the beginning...