[Fixed] 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
CoyoteDen

Re: 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805)

Post by CoyoteDen »

You don't have to disable rootless to work around AppleKextExcludeList.kext. From recovery you can mount the disk and rename or delete AppleKextExcludeList.kext. You'll have to look up the proper diskutil options to unlock and mount the volume. (Mounting it from Disk Utility will mount it read-only.)
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jul 2018, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
IPv6Freely
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Junos

Post by IPv6Freely »

CoyoteDen wrote:You don't have to disable rootless to work around AppleKextExcludeList.kext.
I agree, there is of course other ways to get around it. I just think this option is easier for the time being. I think I said earlier that I'd definitely prefer to edit the plist for a 3rd party application than to mess with system kexts. Though, in my case I already have SIP disabled since I'm a developer anyway - but YMMV.
Chris Jones
Sr. Network Engineer - Sempra Energy
JNCIE-ENT #272, CCIE #25655 (R&S)
Apple Developer Program - Running macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta
silvae86
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

Post by silvae86 »

Hi everyone,

I tried to summarize the steps to fix this issue and wrote a post in my GitHub Pages. I gave credit wherever due, as I did not come up with any of the instructions but only condensed into a single post.

I cant post the link because I just registered to post this, but here it is. If the admins think it is good, please edit the post to include a link:

silvae86.github.io/sysadmin/mojave/beta/vagrant/virtualbox/osx/macos/2018/07/10/running-vagrant-and-virtualbox-in-mojave-public-beta

Thanks for everyone's help... Finally I have Virtualbox running on Mojave again and can get back to my dev work...!
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

Great write-up!

Here's the actual link for those who arrive here looking for instructions:
https://silvae86.github.io/sysadmin/moj ... ublic-beta
Chris Jones
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@silvae86, please consider correcting a couple of things in your blog post:
  • Do not point users to the development builds (x.y.97). They may do contain experimental code and it may break other things. It's best if you point them to the Test Builds on the same page.
  • Do NOT link to specific builds. Your post is going to be invalid within three weeks, if not sooner, as these files are auto-pruned every three weeks (at the most).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
silvae86
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

Post by silvae86 »

@socratis Done! Thanks for the feedback.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Man, that was a fast response! Kudos! :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

Upgraded from build 18A326g to build 18A326h today hoping such a minor rev would contain the AppleKextExcludeList.kext update, but no such luck. :evil:
Chris Jones
CoyoteDen

Post by CoyoteDen »

Looks like we're good on Beta 4. VBoxDrv is no longer in the AppleKextExcludeList and the Virtualbox app is no longer disabled.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

To be clear, org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv IS still in AppleKextExcludeList.kext, however it is now set to LT 5.2.14, which means we're good. Hooray!
Chris Jones
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

I'm new here, Just signed up today to post to this thread. I was also having the Box issues with the Mojave Public beta. As of Public Beta 3, Vbox still won't install, and the app is disabled, so can't even run it. I'm guessing this is the normal behavior for now until Apple officially addresses the Kext issue.
Not running VBox isn't a big deal for me since I prefer Vmware products for best performance. However, I take inventory of what apps work, and don't during the beta, so I can calculate an upgrade path once the software goes public.

FYI, I had Sierra installed on the test machine first, then upgraded to High Sierra, and then the Mojave Public beta. Virtual Box had been installed on Sierra, and then upgraded from there. So things were already installed, and broke with the beta upgrade in this case.

Just wanted to let you know that the App is still disabled as of version released 5.2.16. I've tried with system integrity disabled, and enabled, and completely cleaning out Virtualbox install from the system, and nothing helps there.

One thing that did happen was, one time the security alert to allow the kext popped up, but the security preferences didn't have the usual allow button. Since then, I haven't even been asked if I want to allow the kext. Based on what I've read here though, I'm not really experiencing anything different from anyone else at this point.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

iFrog wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that the App is still disabled as of version released 5.2.16. I've tried with system integrity disabled, and enabled, and completely cleaning out Virtualbox install from the system, and nothing helps there.
Not sure why you'd post this when you already know it's fixed in Mojave beta 4. You didn't add anything that wasn't already known. It seems like you've just ignored every other post in the thread.
Chris Jones
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

I think there must have been a miss communication somewhere. I did read, that the issue had been fixed as of build 5.2.14 when it comes to the Kext loading. I also was under the impression that everyone who wanted it to just work without having to apply the terminal commands had to wait for Apple to update their Kext list. If beta 4 for developers, and public beta 3 were mentioned I apologize because I must have missed it. Public beta 3 just dropped last night, so that's what I'm going by. I installed it, and still couldn't get VirtualBox to work with both the latest release of VirtualBox, and the latest public beta from apple.

That's ALL I was implying.
IPv6Freely

Post by IPv6Freely »

iFrog wrote:
That's ALL I was implying.
As was already said, Virtualbox fixed the kext in 5.2.14 and Apple fixed the exclude list in beta 4 (18A336e). If you're running anything lower than those versions, it will not work without the modifications we spelled out earlier. Again, nothing we didn't already know.
Chris Jones
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

OK, I'm caught up there, since I still can't get VirtualBox to install and run on my test machine with both items being on versions that are fixed, should I try a clean install of the beta? maybe something on the system got broken, that needs to be reset.