[Fixed] 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
shakisha

[Fixed] 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave (#17805)

Post by shakisha »

ModEdit; related ticket: #17805: macOS 10.14 Mojave: VBoxDrv.kext < 5.3 Blocked By AppleKextExcludeList.kext

UPDATE: Fixed with VirtualBox 5.2.14 on OSX 10.14b4 and later

5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave, with error "kext not supported" directly from mac notification system.
Last edited by socratis on 10. Nov 2018, 11:54, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: 5.2.12 install fails on macOS Mojave

Post by andyp73 »

There is a known issue with High Sierra (a.k.a. only allowing applications installed from the App Store by default). One would expect that Mojave will be the same but worse! Have you been into the Security and Privacy settings to allow installation of software from Oracle?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
fishnet37222
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Various flavors of Linux

Post by fishnet37222 »

I have my installation of macOS Mojave configured to allow installation of software "from the App Store and identified developers" and I saw the same issue, but I did not see the same error message. Once the installer package gets to the point where it's validating the packages, I see the error in the screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 5.42.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 5.42.44 AM.png (112.57 KiB) Viewed 57729 times
Dave F
CRonoS

Mac OS 10.14 Fail Running and re-instal

Post by CRonoS »

hello,

I can't open the software VirtualBox on my macOs 10.14. The message says that a driver is not installed ( rc=1908)
Make sur the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

Thank You.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2018-06-05 à 12.45.41.png
Capture d’écran 2018-06-05 à 12.45.41.png (92.19 KiB) Viewed 57723 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You might want to print the following steps, or save them in a test file on your desktop, because there are a couple of reboots, and you don't want to go "hunting" in the forums...
  1. Download the latest release, or the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot), if you don't already have them.
  2. Reboot.
  3. Make sure you're part of the "admin" group. If you are logged in with the primary user account/owner, you are part of the admin group.
  4. Mount the DMG from the previous step. Run "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool". Make sure there are no error messages. If there are, please post them, exactly as they appear.
  5. Reboot.
  6. Mount the DMG from the previous steps. Double-click the "VirtualBox.pkg". As soon as you start the installation, press Cmd+L to show the log. Select "Show All Logs" from the drop-down menu. Before the last step of the installation (Done), click the "Save" in the log window. ZIP and attach that file.

If it fails, look (as soon as possible) in the 'dmesg' output. Post that as well.
  7. Start VirtualBox. If it crashes, open "Console.app" and look at "~/Library/Logs". Is there a VirtualBox related log with the current date/time? ZIP and attach that file as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@CRonoS
I've merged your post with a similar one. 10.14 is in its first beta, and as such 1) it belongs to the "OSX pre-releases" section, and 2) the developers got their hands on 10.14 the same time as you did...

See my previous message about getting the installer logs.

PS. Next time, please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least), or simply change the DPI to 72. Not everyone is blessed with a HiDPI display ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fishnet37222

Post by fishnet37222 »

Here is the installer log. VirtualBox itself seems to launch fine, though. I did not see any logs related to VirtualBox in "~/Library/Logs".
Attachments
Installer Log 5-Jun-2018.txt.zip
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
Dave F
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The installer log doesn't give much away:
Jun  5 07:51:31 Davids-MBP installd[458]: ./postflight: /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext
                failed to load - (libkern/kext) not loadable (reason unspecified);
                check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
It might be too late but was there anything in the 'dmesg' output that socratis suggested looking at and does kextutil give anything useful?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
fishnet37222

Post by fishnet37222 »

I ran dmesg, but I didn't see any errors that mentioned VirtualBox. Then again, I have no clue how to interpret the output from dmesg. If you let me know the command line to use with kextutil, I can provide the output generated.
Dave F
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

fishnet37222 wrote:Then again, I have no clue how to interpret the output from dmesg
Direct the output into a text file and post it here and we can take a look.

The output from:
sudo kextutil -v -t /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext
might give some clues (hopefully no-one has spotted yet that I am winging it)

-Andy.
fishnet37222

Post by fishnet37222 »

The attached ZIP file contains the output from both dmesg and kextutil.
Attachments
Archive.zip
(951 Bytes) Downloaded 232 times
Dave F
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That would explain it:
Kext rejected due to presence on exclude list: <OSKext 0x7fb405c18b40 [0x7fff88dcf8d0]>
    { URL = "file:///Library/Application%20Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext/",
       ID = "org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv" }
Explains the why, but it doesn't explain the "Why exactly???".
shakisha

Post by shakisha »

Same thing here, system is not telling you the error in the log, i will try to extract something more
shakisha

Post by shakisha »

Jun 5 17:03:31 iMac-Retina installd[1382]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "Se ha producido un error al ejecutar scripts desde el paquete “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=Se ha producido un error al ejecutar scripts desde el paquete “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = "./postflight";
NSLocalizedDescription = "Se ha producido un error al ejecutar scripts desde el paquete \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
}
shakisha

Post by shakisha »

This is the error on running manually:

Code: Select all

sudo kextutil -v -t /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext
Kext rejected due to presence on exclude list: <OSKext 0x7fce9af5b5d0 [0x7fff884448d0]>
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jun 2018, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability