VirtualBox crashing host 10.13.1b (17B25c) (#17150)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
Compumate

Re: VirtualBox crashing host 10.13.1b (17B25c)

Post by Compumate »

Hi Socratis

According to the Apple update site the supplementary update is rolled in to the Beta...

So I just carried out the following...

Uninstalled VB, Rebooted the Mac, Installed VB (5.2 rc). No error messages. Nothing in System Preferences > Security & Privacy re Oracle. Attempted to start a VM. Error popped up regarding USB 3 support (extensions not installed?). Disabled USB and attempted to start the VM again. Crash - still the same :o(

Puzzling to say the least...
Thanks
Steve
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Compumate wrote:According to the Apple update site the supplementary update is rolled in to the Beta...
Where did you read this? The 10.13.1 beta was rolled out long before the supplemental update. I've seen no indication that's the case.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Hi Socratis

Looking more closely I'm wrong - I think. The statement I read said the supplementary update would be rolled in to future releases - I installed the Beta after the release date of the sup. update so concluded it was released after the sup. update. But I've just checked the release dates and it (the Beta) was released on the 30th Sept. - The Sup. update was released on 5th October, apparently.

Adding to my confusion is the Sup. update doesn't appear in my available updates list - in fact I have no updates pending? I guess it may not be compatible with the .1b Beta...
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What's the "supplemental update" for those poor souls that cannot afford the full developer program?

Oh, BTW, Compumate, when 5.2.0 comes out, it will bring back a feature that was suppressed back in April; the memory location of where things get loaded. What do I mean? Open any VBox.log from your current VirtualBox. At the early stages (around the 15-20 line mark) you'll see something like "Opened VMMR0.r0 .... at 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. That series of "X"s was forced back in April due to some security concerns, not from VirtualBox but throughout the computer industry, a nasty backdoor. Well, that thing is coming back (at least for OSX).

Why is that important? Well, it tells the developers where VirtualBox gets loaded in memory. Couple that with a "VirtualBox.crash" log and it's much faster to locate and isolate the issues. Not that I expect a difference, but could you try the development builds, at the bottom of the page, from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds ?
Compumate wrote:So, my point - from your last message it looks like you can install a VM inside a VM with VirtualBox?
I didn't say I was running nested virtualization at any point. But generally speaking, yes, you can run a VM inside a VM (unsupported), but only 32 bit guests with 1 CPU only. Basically anything that doesn't require VT-x.
loukingjr wrote:clicked the Allow button for "Oracle" and all was hunky dory.
You were one of the lucky ones Lou. I've managed to confuse it in my VM as well, if I follow specific steps.
Compumate wrote:Uninstalled VB, Rebooted the Mac, Installed VB (5.2 rc). No error messages. Nothing in System Preferences > Security & Privacy re Oracle.
Because Oracle was already approved. In theory you need to approve Oracle just once, not every time you install/uninstall/install.
Compumate wrote:Disabled USB and attempted to start the VM again. Crash - still the same
Can you try with something simple, i.e. a DOS VM? Just create a DOS VM, stick with the defaults and try to launch it. Does that still crash?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote:
loukingjr wrote:clicked the Allow button for "Oracle" and all was hunky dory.
You were one of the lucky ones Lou. I've managed to confuse it in my VM as well, if I follow specific steps.
Luck had nothing to do with it. 8)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The way that Apple operates these days (if !=iOS then quality > /dev/null), luck had everything to do with it. Count your blessings ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote:The way that Apple operates these days (if !=iOS then quality > /dev/null), luck had everything to do with it. Count your blessings ;)
Now now. One could say the same with VirtualBox, if my experience is any indication.

Btw, I forgot…
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1937?vie ... cale=en_US
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh, so the "10.13 Supplemental" is not a developer update, it's a public one! Man, they've broken the fastest update record. Who knows how many complaints they've heard about this one. I wonder what the "• Improves installer robustness" refers to. No, actually I think I know... ;)
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I think you may very well know. :)

Just from all the posts on ASC it seems quite a few users have had issues installing the initial release. Just speculation of my part but I suspect Apple has a tendency to release software before it's ready or with known problems in order to meet some artificial release date.
Matt L.

Post by Matt L. »

I'm seeing exactly the same kernel panic since upgrading one of my machines to 10.13.1 public beta 1.

I have found a workaround that works for me, at least:

1. Run "VBoxManage list vms” to list your VM’s along with their display names and kids
2. Run your VM in headless mode by running “VBoxManage startvm your-vm-name —type headless” where your-vm-name is the name listed in step 1.
3. Run virtualbox to bring up its UI
4. Select the running VM in VirtualBox and click “Show”. At this point the UI for your running VM should appear.

After that the virtual machine (Windows 10) ran as expected and I was able to shut it down in the normal way from its UI.
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Hi Socratis

I inferred from your post....

"I did a quick test, since I have the luxury of having 10.13 in a VM. Try to install VirtualBox...."

...that you meant you were testing the install process within a VM Guest. It's academic and not relevant to the topic but I'll have a play with that, just for the fun of it - if I ever get the thing working again...

Anyway, I did the DOS VM test - left everything as standard - Crash, bang wallop - exactly the same!

;o(
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Matt L - I tried the headless approach on my system but sadly it still crashed...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Compumate
I see what you mean. At this point however it wasn't a VM inside a VM, it was just installing an application inside a VM.

@Matt L.
Can you also try with the "VBoxManage startvm <VM> --type gui" and "VBoxManage startvm <VM> --type separate" and see what happens? Thanks in advance.
Matt L.

Post by Matt L. »

socratis wrote: @Matt L.
Can you also try with the "VBoxManage startvm <VM> --type gui" and "VBoxManage startvm <VM> --type separate" and see what happens? Thanks in advance.
@socratis: Running with --type gui triggers the same kernel panic immediately. Running with --type separate does not. GUI performance of the VM feels very sluggish in separate mode, but I haven't really done any rigorous testing of this mode so I don't know if it's really any slower than starting in headless mode.
Matt L.

Post by Matt L. »

Just to save everyone else some time, the kernel panic is still there in 10.13.1 beta 2, which was just released.

The headless mode workaround continues to work for me with 10.13.1b2