VirtualBox crashing host 10.13.1b (17B25c) (#17150)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
Compumate

VirtualBox crashing host 10.13.1b (17B25c) (#17150)

Post by Compumate »

[ModEdit, related ticket #17150: VirtualBox triggers a kernel panic in macOS 10.13.1 public beta 1]
I'm having the same issue - with the exception that changing the network adapter doesn't help. I've even tried with no adapter, but no joy. The moment I try to launch a VM (any VM) the Mac crashes, black screens , followed by text and a reboot....

This has happened only since upgrading to High Sierra 10.13.1 Beta (17B25c)

Anyone else?

Any help appreciated...
Last edited by socratis on 10. Oct 2017, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox crashing host 10.13.1b (17B25c)

Post by socratis »

I split your post from the "VirtualBox crashing High Sierra - network connection the problem?", and here's why; you say you have the same problem, but there's no networking involved and you're on a beta. In my book, that is *not* the same problem. So, I split your post, moved it to the "OSX pre-releases" and gave it a more appropriate title.

There has been no release of VirtualBox after 10.13 came out, so I'm not sure that the 10.13.1b is covered. In any event, please post some more details, logs and other information that might help.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Thank you Socratis

Yes, I guess it is different when you put it like that, sorry. It was just that it was the only post I could find with the system (Host) totally crashing on the launch of a guest.

I've uploaded a couple of log files from the VM subfolder "Logs" - there are two other log files in the folder (1 and 2) but they are both zero byte files so haven't attached them. The file named VBox3.log was obviously originally names VBox.log.3 as the system wouldn't allow the dot 3 file extension.

The system is a MacBook Pro Late 2013 13" model. The OS installation has been upgraded to each successive release of OS X and MacOS - this is the first (and last) time that I've installed a Beta.

I've also upgraded VB with each successive release. Both my guests (1 x Windows 10 and 1 x Windows XP) exhibit the same behaviour as does a new one if I try to create one - regardless of choice of drive (create new or use existing) - neither do any Network setting changes affect the result. Launching any VW results in a black panic screen and a reboot.

Not sure if you need anything else but happy to provide any more info required.

Thanks
Attachments
VBox3.log
(113.49 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
VBox.log
(30.26 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting to see anything from the VBox.log, since you have much bigger problems compared to a VM going wrong. If this is indeed a crash due to VirtualBox, then I would expect one of the 4 kext that VirtualBox installs to be the curlpit. Only kexts can bring down the host, not a VM, not VirtualBox the application.

Do you have a kernel panic log? Not that I'm going to be able to offer you a solution, only to check for hints. Did you install VirtualBox after the beta? Do you have any other software that may have installed kexts to the system? Can you post the output of:
  • kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

I seem to be in a minority of one with this issue so far then...

No, VirtualBox has been installed since new - and updated every time there's a new build released.

I've posted the output from the kextstat below. I notice the only other entry is AVG - - worth uninstalling to test do you think?

Code: Select all

kextstat | grep -v com.apple
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
  152    3 0xffffff7f8355c000 0x62000    0x62000    org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (5.1.28) C0F0EDBE-F7FA-3189-8D24-48F02415C348 <7 5 4 3 1>
  159    0 0xffffff7f835be000 0x8000     0x8000     com.avg.FileShield (3.0.0) 5E0FED9F-9809-3E9F-BBFF-9560C9A6EC3D <5 4 1>
  161    0 0xffffff7f835c6000 0x8000     0x8000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (5.1.28) 93025612-D707-3185-AA16-5D987EA2F72E <160 152 52 7 5 4 3 1>
  162    0 0xffffff7f835ce000 0x5000     0x5000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (5.1.28) F8FCB36B-980B-3823-BFCB-765E43593678 <152 7 5 4 3 1>
  163    0 0xffffff7f835d3000 0x6000     0x6000     org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (5.1.28) 6AE4C456-BA43-328E-8464-1CAA4C6F7BB8 <152 5 4 1>
Also, please find attached the most recent panic log, from last night (with ".log" added to the suffix)...

Thanks, for looking at these for me...
Attachments
Kernel_2017-10-07-231046_Mnementh.panic.log
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
   org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv(5.1.28)[C0F0EDBE-F7FA-3189-8D24-48F02415C348]@0xffffff7f8f75c000->0xffffff7f8f7bdfff
Yeah, that's the main VirtualBox driver crashing.

To tell you the truth, the timing is impeccable ;) . The developers are trying to get 5.2.0 out the door, 10.13 came out and with limited testing on the users' part (don't know what the devs are doing), VirtualBox was working, so any minor bugs will be sorted after 5.2.0 is out, most probably in 5.2.2.

Now 10.13b1 came out and it's crashing. I'm not sure how high of a priority it's going to be at this particular moment, but since you're in the beta spirit, you might want to try 5.2.0rc1 that's out and see if you get any better results.
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Thanks Socratis

To answer my own previous question - no removing AVG doesn't help.

I'm off to try 5.2.0rc1 and will report back here with the results...

Thanks again
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Hi again

No, no joy with 5.2.0rc1 - exactly the same.

Lesson learnt for me - don't play with MacOS betas.... ;o(

Would it be worth me uninstalling VB and doing a clean install? Would I lose my VMs if I do that, or indeed, would their Windows activation be re-triggered?

Thanks again for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Compumate wrote:Lesson learnt for me - don't play with MacOS betas.... ;o(
A better lesson for you; try the beta in an external hard drive. I have my 10.13 in an external HD (I'm on 10.11.6) and whenever I want to try something out, I'm rebooting from the ext. HD.
Compumate wrote:Would it be worth me uninstalling VB and doing a clean install?
I honestly don't think that the situation is going to change. If there's a conflict with the driver, installing a new version of the driver won't make the conflict go away. Having said that, you've got nothing to lose, except 5 min.
Compumate wrote:Would I lose my VMs if I do that, or indeed, would their Windows activation be re-triggered?
No you wouldn't. Just like if you update your iTunes you don't lose your music, or upgrading LibreOffice won't make your documents go bad ;)
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Thanks Socratis

Yes, I could/should have tried it on an external drive - I even have Sierra installed on an SD card that I could have used!!!

So, do you have any suggestions as to what my next move should be? (Assuming that the clean install doesn't resolve anything!) Is it just a waiting game for Apple (or Oracle) to resolve the issue or do you think it's my Mac and, as such, is an isolated case and I'll need to consider a total clean install of MacOS?

Regarding my concern over losing the VMs - my main worry is losing Windows activation of the two guests as I don't want to have to buy new licences again. It's off topic, and I guess the question will have been asked many times before, so I'll scan the forum.

Many thanks for your assistance thus far.

Steve
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Compumate wrote:do you have any suggestions as to what my next move should be?
Two options I can think of. 1) Downgrade to 10.13, or 2) wait for the issue to be fixed.
Compumate wrote:or do you think it's my Mac and, as such, is an isolated case and I'll need to consider a total clean install of MacOS?
I haven't heard anyone else running the 10.13.1b. Actually, sorry, I take it back. There is another user that runs 10.13b1, but they have a problem getting VirtualBox installed. Imagine their face when they finally get it installed only to have it crash in the VBoxDrv.kext :D

As for the activation, a change in VirtualBox or the host OS won't trigger it. A change in the underlying hardware (the CPU basically), might trigger it, but it's not certain because only the CPU change is not considered a major "surgery". For more info take a look at "Which changes trigger reactivation in a Windows guest?". It's 150 posts, so it's quite a big read. I'd start from the end to tell you the truth...
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

Again, thanks for your input Socratis

Where would you expect the fix to come from? Is this an Apple thing or will the Oracle developers need to change something in order to work with Apple's changes? I know how intransigent Apple can be once they decide on something...

Even if it affects a great number of applications they would still likely say the onus is on the developer to make it work "their way"... although I may just be being pessimistic here....

As an aside - if anyone else is following this thread can they confirm they have the problem - or even the opposite - does anyone have the same MacOS build but without the problem?

Thanks again
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh, this is definitely an Apple problem. The new Secure Kernel Extension Loading (SKEL) may be well intended but it's half baked. There's nothing a developer can do if their installer might work on the first, the second, third or fourth attempt or not at all.

I did a quick test, since I have the luxury of having 10.13 in a VM. Try to install VirtualBox. Fail with a warning to go to the Security panel in the System Preferences. Ignore it for the moment and do not approve Oracle as a trusted developer. Wait 30 minutes for the warning to (literally) disappear from the Security panel. Try to install VirtualBox again. Fail again, but with no warning whatsoever, just a silent fail. Go to the Security panel. Nothing. So, you're stuck. You can't approve Oracle, you can't do anything. Reboot and the "Allow Oracle" shows up in the Security panel... Right...
Compumate

Post by Compumate »

OK, so you think my issue is related to the install failure others are having (on High Sierra)... interesting. I'll have a poke around the Apple forums to see if there is any noise being made about it. Odd that it worked for me until this latest Beta...

Years ago, before HyperV and MS VirtualPC the software was owned and developed by a company called Connectix and, at the time, I used it for testing new OSes (as you do) and was amazed at its abilities - at the time this was virtually unheard of, if you'll pardon the pun - certainly for the average home user. MS obviously saw the potential as, like I said, they bought the company and developed VirtualPC from it. There is a point to this, bear with me...

During my use of it I thought, I wonder if I can install it in to a guest OS - to have a VM running inside a VM as it were? So, I started the install and after a little while I got a pop message saying... "You just had to try, didn't you?" they had obviously anticipated this scenario and, at that time, it couldn't be done.

So, my point - from your last message it looks like you can install a VM inside a VM with VirtualBox?

Thanks
Steve
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote:Oh, this is definitely an Apple problem. The new Secure Kernel Extension Loading (SKEL) may be well intended but it's half baked. There's nothing a developer can do if their installer might work on the first, the second, third or fourth attempt or not at all.
FWIW, I did an installation of VirtualBox 5.1.28 on a different iMac that is running High Sierra 10.3 with the Supplemental Update. I installed it the same way as I had installing 5.2 release candidate 1 on High Sierra 10.13.1 on a different iMac.

Ran the VB installers, both said "Installation Failed", then opened System Preferences > Security & Privacy, unlocked the lock, clicked the Allow button for "Oracle" and all was hunky dory. The only difference was the release version of HS brought up a warning that a system extension was blocked and to go to System & Privacy. The supplemental update may not be in the beta.

tada.

In any case, both installed and work and I had no need to install VB in Safe Mode.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.