Windows 10 Guest cannot reach host MAC OSX Sierra 10.12.1

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
Bill66912

Windows 10 Guest cannot reach host MAC OSX Sierra 10.12.1

Post by Bill66912 »

Hello -

I have an OSX 10.12.1 Host running a number of different VirtualBox machines, including a 32 bit Windows 10 machine.

On the Windows 10 machine, I have lost the ability to connect back to the OSX Host (for the purpose of accessing the contents of the OSX Hard Drive, etc).

I have compared the Win10's VB settings against other VirtualBox machines that I have that work correctly, including Win7, Server 2012 etc; and the settings are identicle. But I cannot map a drive in the Windows 10 VM back to the hard drive on my OSX Sierra machine.

Has anyonly else experiened this and if so, is there something that I'm completely missing?

Thanks very much in advance,

- Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Guest cannot reach host MAC OSX Sierra 10.12.1

Post by socratis »

So, is the shared folder feature working with other guests but not with Windows 10, did I get it right? When was the Win10 install last updated? Are you in the fast ring? What's your exact build version for Win10? I'm assuming that you're on 10.12.1b3. If not, please specify the OSX version.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jessetechie

Post by jessetechie »

I'm also having this problem. I have a macOS Sierra host and a Windows 10 64-bit guest. I'm on VirtualBox 5.1.8 with the corresponding extensions installed.

I can see my host in Windows Explorer under Network, but when I click on it (or other Macs or Windows guests on our network for that matter), I get the following message (where \\HOST is my host computer name):
\\HOST is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find 
out if you have access permissions.  

The network address is invalid.
This problem is preventing me from using Shared Folders. I have added a Shared Folder, but when I try to map to it using:
net use m: \\vboxsvr\sharename
I get the following message:
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I believe you're mixing two problems. One is the SMB networking part, the other is the shared folders. Not a direct connection, but they do appear both under the Network (in Win10 at least). The shared folders are under the "\\VBOXSVR\sharename" and the rest of the computers, well, they're on their own.

What kind of networking are you using? HostOnly, Bridged, Internal, NAT, NAT Network? A combination of the above?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.