VirtualBox 6.1.28 kext issues on MacOS Monterey

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.28 kext issues on MacOS Monterey

Post by klaus »

Thanks for the very helpful feedback... turns out that this is another (small) issue in the installer scripts specific to macOS Monterey. It should show a message that a reboot will be needed to load the kernel extensions, but instead shows an error. Will be fixed soon, will keep this thread up to date.
hectornavarro

Post by hectornavarro »

Just to confirm the 6.1.29 (test) also works for me. After restart the MacOS the vboxnet0 is present and working.
Thank u so much. :D
fjsr

Post by fjsr »

hi All, i have been following the discussion for a couple of weeks and i have tested the solutions proposed. but no luck for me.

in my case, VirtualBox 6.1.28 and MacOS 12.0.1, i have to reinstall VirtualBox after booting MacOS.

i guess my problem is that the kexts in Security Settings does not show up after VirtualBox installation.

does someone have a clue on this fact?

thanks, regards.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

fjsr wrote:hi All, i have been following the discussion for a couple of weeks and i have tested the solutions proposed. but no luck for me.

in my case, VirtualBox 6.1.28 and MacOS 12.0.1, i have to reinstall VirtualBox after booting MacOS.
Sounds like you didn't try the 6.1.29r148140 test build which has some Monterey fixes.

Either way, there's now another notarized test build which has a fix for the error message at the end of a successful install on Monterey: please test 6.1.29r148218.

This updated test build should be usable by anyone (doesn't need to disable SIP)... it's in no way specific to the issue mentioned by fjsr.
fjsr

Post by fjsr »

klaus wrote:
fjsr wrote:hi All, i have been following the discussion for a couple of weeks and i have tested the solutions proposed. but no luck for me.

Sounds like you didn't try the 6.1.29r148140 test build which has some Monterey fixes.

Either way, there's now another notarized test build which has a fix for the error message at the end of a successful install on Monterey: please test 6.1.29r148218.

This updated test build should be usable by anyone (doesn't need to disable SIP)... it's in no way specific to the issue mentioned by fjsr.
hi Klaus, i followed your instructions and the issue got solved.

thanks a lot, regards.

francisco javier
Yash Kumar

Post by Yash Kumar »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install VM 6.0.28 on the Mac Monterey 12.0.1 but its keep failing. I have tried the different version and test build 6.0.29 but still getting this same error though I was able to install 6.0.28 on my old Mac.
Have tried to use the following command also
sudo spctl --master-disable

did clean up many times by uninstalling but still not luck and no getting any error on console, Any help guys?
slipttees

Post by slipttees »

I can Install 6.1.29-148322 but doent work. Monterey 12.0.1 Mac intel

Code: Select all

sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv

Password:
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=27 "Extension with identifiers org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Extension with identifiers org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.}
where fix? System Preferences doesnt appears anything!
riso

Post by riso »

Hi, maybe I am wrong, but if it is not notarized build you have to have SIP disabled.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

I've been communicating crystal clear (with explicit link) in my posts when we made a notarized test build available. All other test builds are not notarized, as stated on the test build page.
vboxoracle

Post by vboxoracle »

Are they any more test builds? I am also having macOSMonterey issues, I am running the latest update 12.2.1
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Any test build features implemented while 6.1.28 was current would now be part of VirtualBox 6.1.30 and later.

So, you have a different problem, assuming you updated VirtualBox since 6.1.28.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Uploaded new test builds... there are a number of bug fixes since 6.1.32 already (the changelog updates are mostly missing, though), but from what I can tell nothing in relation to kext handling on macOS Monterey. The build is from a week ago. No 6.1 activity since.
vboxoracle

Post by vboxoracle »

Ah, thanks klaus for the update. I had figured as much, but wanted to snag that 6.1.29 to see if that would help my problem but it has since expired (and sounds like it would have been a waste of time). It actually does take a lot of time to work through these things, I spent 3 hours after I woke up, with coffee, then closed my notebook and went and did something that would end up being productive.