Windows 10 network issue on OSX Big Sur

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
khinner

Windows 10 network issue on OSX Big Sur

Post by khinner »

Hi everyone. I had VB installed on OSX Catalina with a W10 virtual machine, and everything was working well. After I updated to OSX Big Sur, the virtual machine W10 still works, but there has to be apparently a problem with the network/WiFi connection, as bridge mode doesn’t work anymore but NAT mode does. Until that everything ok, until I try to connect to my server VPN, no connection is possible, even if I try to configure the network adapter manually. Any idea? Thanks a lot for your help
ricchagas

Re: Windows 10 network issue on OSX Big Sur

Post by ricchagas »

Im with same with win10 and win7 but works great in ubuntu server 20
khinner

Post by khinner »

The problem is I need to connect with our server with Windows Server through VPN, and in bridge mode now there is no network connection
macandroid

Post by macandroid »

This has nothing to do with Big Sur. I had the same issue (and still have under Catalina) that Bridged does not work with a W10 virtual machine. Use NAT instead, I use NAT for Windows and VPNs (for my work) do work.

A Linux guest (Ubuntu or Centos) does work with Bridged.
khinner

Post by khinner »

macandroid wrote:This has nothing to do with Big Sur. I had the same issue (and still have under Catalina) that Bridged does not work with a W10 virtual machine. Use NAT instead, I use NAT for Windows and VPNs (for my work) do work.

Thanks for your answer. Strange but with Catalina I have been using bridged W10 virtual machine and even VPN worked quiet well. As soon as I updated to Big Sur, bridged W10 had no internet connection anymore and with NAT internet works well but VPN can’t connect. Under NAT do you know if there is some special VPN configuration to pay attention at?
sbiel

Post by sbiel »

Same issue here.
sunfish

Post by sunfish »

Before upgraded to Big Sur, my VM worked very well with bridged mode over wifi. But now VM only use NAT mode to work. In Big Sur, with bridged mode, I see the VM can send DHCP request out, and router gives back IP, but VM just cannot get it.
Bartje

Post by Bartje »

macandroid wrote:This has nothing to do with Big Sur. I had the same issue (and still have under Catalina) that Bridged does not work with a W10 virtual machine. Use NAT instead, I use NAT for Windows and VPNs (for my work) do work.

Hi, can you explain to me how to configure this network connection as NAT? I can't get bridged to work
khinner

Post by khinner »

Bartje wrote:

Hi, can you explain to me how to configure this network connection as NAT? I can't get bridged to work
On Virtualbox Administrator, select the virtual machine, clic on "configuration" - "network" and under "connected to" select NAT option.
MikeH2020

Post by MikeH2020 »

Same issue here. Host: OSX Big Sur, Guest: Win10 20H2

Updated to OSX Big Sur.
Then I needed to update Virtualbox to 6.1.16 to run my Win10 VM.
I also updated the VM Guest additions to the latest version.
Then I realized that my bridged network isn't working anymore.
Switched to NAT for testing, it worked.
Switched back to bridged network and tried different adapters, without luck.
Then I studied Win10 event logs and saw that it complains about "ip-address already in use, will try to get new address", Event-Source: Dhcp-Client, EventId: 1005.
Tried to set a fixed IP-Adress, but didn't work, so back to dhcp.
Then I captured a network log from the VM with --nictrace1.
With wireshark I could see, that I got a valid ip-address for a few seconds and the VM communicated with other devices on the same subnet, but then suddenly a DHCP Decline packet comes along and a new negotiation for a new ip-address begins.

Then I installed a new Ubuntu 20.04.1 VM and checked the network bridge, it worked! So it seems something Windows related!
Then I tested my Win10 VM again, but this time using an ethernet cable to the router. Guess what? It worked in bridged mode.

So all in all im really confused. It seems to be a specific problem with VB 6.1.16, MacOS Big Sur Wifi and Win10 Guest.

I have the feeling, that it has something to do with Wifi MAC address randomization, but im not quite sure, because I couldn't find informations about it.
Marach

Post by Marach »

Hello

I, too, am experiencing this issue after updating to Big Sur over the weekend. Inside the Windows 10 guest, I am getting the message that there is no network connection. The network settings indicates that the cable is not connected (I am using WiFi from the host). Brought up the Ubuntu guest machine and checked the settings in both Virtualbox and in Ubuntu. Ubuntu shows as wired and the Virtualbox shows as NAT, and there is full connectivity, The same settings in Virtualbox for the Windows guest shows as no network connection on the Windows 10 guest.
Marach

Post by Marach »

Hello

A follow up. The Windows 10 guest works flawlessly when connected thru wired ethernet connection.
nutygeorge

Post by nutygeorge »

Marach wrote:Hello

I, too, am experiencing this issue after updating to Big Sur over the weekend. Inside the Windows 10 guest, I am getting the message that there is no network connection. The network settings indicates that the cable is not connected (I am using WiFi from the host). Brought up the Ubuntu guest machine and checked the settings in both Virtualbox and in Ubuntu. Ubuntu shows as wired and the Virtualbox shows as NAT, and there is full connectivity, The same settings in Virtualbox for the Windows guest shows as no network connection on the Windows 10 guest.
Hello,
yes, I can agree that on ethernet adapter, bridged network works.. There is a problem with bridged wifi.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Marach wrote:works flawlessly when connected thru wired ethernet connection.
nutygeorge wrote:There is a problem with bridged wifi.
This is a known problem. Bridged does not always work with Wi-Fi.
Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: Bridged Adapter
MikeH2020

Post by MikeH2020 »

Thanks scottgus1 for the link.

But I just installed an Ubuntu 20.04.1 VM for testing. There the bridged wifi connection works.
And it was working before I upgraded to Big Sur and VB 6.1.16 with my Win10 VM also.

So I think it has something to do with the Guest VM and is not a problem of the host, otherwise the Ubuntu VM should have the same problem. And as stated in my post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100663#p488664 above I did a network capture. The capture showed, that my Win10 VM got a DHCP address and was communicating with other network devices. But out of the blue there came a DHCP Decline message arrived and no further communication was possible and the DHCP negogiation process for getting a new ip-address began again.

So I think it has something to do with the windows guests communication with the bridge-adapter.