VBox on macOS 13 beta, anybody tried?

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
khb4711

VBox on macOS 13 beta, anybody tried?

Post by khb4711 »

Hi,
when booting my macOS 12 host, I get a message about virtual box kernel extensions that won't work in the next version of macOS, so I'm a bit reluctant to try the beta, even though I really want some of the features.

Has anybody tried a Ventura host and can share their experiences?

TIA,
k.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: VBox on macOS 13 beta, anybody tried?

Post by multiOS »

Personally, I would not recommend installing the Ventura Beta, or even the final version on release, if you need to run VirtualBox or any other software that needs to inject KEXTs (Kernel Extensions) into macOS until the application developers confirm compatibility.

If you hare been running on Monterey, you should already have been receiving popup warnings that one or more applications will not be compatible with 'a future release of macOS'. This is probably because they rely on being able to install KEXTs; and my understanding is that further 'os security enhancements' being implemented with the release of Ventura will prevent any third-party KEXTs from being installed/used by the methods currently permitted.

I would wait until there is definitive information on software (in)compatibilities before making the leap to Ventura, especially given Apple's record of arbitrarily introducing 'blocks' on third-party software applications through their recent OS releases.